PDA

View Full Version : A move I kinda liked (but a friend hated)

jrobb83
11-15-2004, 08:36 PM
I was looking over a few hh's with a friend of mine who just transitioned from Party 3/6 to 5/10 6max, and we ran across this hand. The table was decent, not great. MP was a slightly loose and quite aggressive, button was LAG preflop but more passive post, and SB was a little loose with average aggression.

Party 10/20 6 handed

MP openraises, CO fold, button calls, sb calls, I call in BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Sb checks, I bet, MP calls, button calls, sb calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (K/images/graemlins/club.gif)
Sb checks, I check planning to check raise...

I liked this play at the time, and still like it now. My friend, however, who occasionally posts on 2+2, hated it. He said that I loose far too much when the turn gets checked around. My thought was that the turn never gets checked around at 10/20 6max.

What do you guys think?

Peter_rus
11-15-2004, 08:43 PM
I sometimes use to do such c/rs especially when i catch something back-door against 2 or more pals or against good players who would value bet many hands. But usually i routinely bet out and use such tricks only to mix up my game and force people to check a bit more when i check to give me more free cards when i need them.

Alobar
11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
If you know for certain it's going to get behind you, then its a no brainer. I just wouln't be confident that it gets bet behind you, but I don't play 10/20 so I dunno. Betting also allows you to 3 bet if you are lucky enough that someone is holding an 8, or the aggresive MP player just paired a king.

pdavester
11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I dont like this play for two reasons.
1. you give up the lead and it looks funny and suspicous
2. you risk getting 0 BB on the turn when you could get a lot.

If people have enough to bet with, most of the time they have enough to raise with. Say that player has AK and paired the king, he will raise and you can then 3-bet, And if he has an 8, he will have waited till the turn to raise, and he will then raise you, and once again you can 3-bet.

I think you give up far too much by checking. Plus you have to think about the other players, a lot of them are smart enough to take a free card. Someone with 99, TT, JJ, QQ might check behind hoping to catch their card for free on the river.

jrobb83
11-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Ok, so you guys don't like it all that much. Here was my thinking: If I bet, and MP had a K he would probably raise and knock the other players out with their likely marginal holdings, but if I checked, he not only would bet a K but also variety of other hands, and the two others would be encouraged to stay in. Definately not a standard line, but this is a pretty good situation to go for something like this with an aggressive MP and two below average players in between. The success really depends in a highly aggressive MP.

Of course when I tried it this time it got checked around, river was a T, sb bets out, we end up capping it and he flips over TT. /images/graemlins/grin.gif God I love this game.