PDA

View Full Version : Most important low-limit concept or advice

ipp147
11-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Evening,

I've started to play alot of NL recently (Party $50) and thought it might be good to pull together some ideas to help each other playing as well as being a reference guide for any newbies to NL.

As these are geared to the Party games we are talking short stack cash NL games and 10 handed play.

My 3 to begin (yeah I'll take the obvious ones /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

1. Don't slowplay big pairs pre-flop. You don't have a deep stack in front of you so you want to build a pot preflop that someone will find hard to get away from postflop. If you let people in cheaply you have to be prepared to release your AA or see yourself stacked by J9s (as NPA Mr Miller would say - protect your hand!).

2. Don't play marginal hands, especially to raises. If you are adjusting from a limit game then you need to learn quickly that AQ and KQ are marginal with a raise in front of you.

3. Don't overplay big hands on co-ordinated boards. A set of Jacks on a TJQ board doesn't look as pretty as on a AJ2 board.

Anyone got any others they want to share?

soko
11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Don't overvalue your top pair if you bet and get alot of callers on the flop.

fimbulwinter
11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
1. Don't call

2. Don't minraise

3. Don't play it up front

Richie Rich
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Bottom two pair is not a monster hand against several opponents.

edge
11-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Position is a wonderful thing. Play your big hands fast out of position (lead out, or go for a big checkraise; don't try fancy traps).

BobboFitos
11-16-2004, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Don't play marginal hands, especially to raises. If you are adjusting from a limit game then you need to learn quickly that AQ and KQ are marginal with a raise in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends who's raising. Generally I'd fold both of those to a raise, (AQs with position I'd call) but some players raise more hands than AA KK AK. It's great to have PT and check it, because folding AQ/KQ as your standard play to a raise isn't necessarily right.

Along the same line, speaking of typical preflop play, (low no limit) dont open raise with hands like AJ AT KQ. When you're called and OOP you'll often be in trouble...

[ QUOTE ]
3. Don't overplay big hands on co-ordinated boards. A set of Jacks on a TJQ board doesn't look as pretty as on a AJ2 board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree - with 50 bet stacks dont fold sets, really, ever. Unless maybe you have something like 77 and the flop is 7 8 9 monotone, and there are like 2 all ins in front of you, then you can think of folding. But even still, even though a Q J T flop doesn't look great with your set of jacks, most likely you're ahead. It's tough to overplay a hand with short stacks as well, because typically once you've called a raise PF, then if they flop bet and you raise, you both are committed to playing out the hand...