PDA

View Full Version : Big blind special in the kiddie pool

Greg J
11-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Hello all. I've never posted on this forum before (excpet once by mistake) as I have been a strictly limit hold em player. I'm a regular on the micro LHE forum, but I've been wanting to expand into a little stud and NL. So, I was playing in the $2 NL room in Paradise last night since I just wanted to get the feel for what I know is a completely different game than I am used to.

So I am in the big blind and get the monster hand of 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG, UTG +1, UTG +2, MP1 all call, MP2 folds, CO and Button call, SB completes and I check.

(7 small bets in the pot)

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks,<font color="red"> I raise 7 small bets, </font> UTG and CO both call, all others fold.

My reasoning here is that I want to force players to make a mistake by calling if they have any sort of draw.

(Pot: 27.5 BBs)

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="red"> I raise the size of the pot again </font> . Both call.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I check, UTG bets all in, CO calls, and I fold and take my suck out like a man.

Now, this might seem like a really naive question, but did I take the proper steps to protect my hand on the flop and the turn? I assure you I know suckouts happen, I have had my fair share, and I'm not whining about it at all. I feel I made them pay for thier suckout -- if you gamble you win sometimes. (UTG had 66, CO had a AXo) I am just curious if this type of play is standard operating procedure.

amoeba
11-15-2004, 07:42 PM
yes, this was standard procedure.

good flop and turn play, good river fold.

Greg J
11-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks for responding.

If I wanted to dedicate some of my role to NL, would be $200 for the Paradise $10 game be a good place to get my feet wet?

amoeba
11-15-2004, 08:07 PM
is this a $10 max buy in?

if so, 20x buy in is plenty especially since your play in this hand demonstrates that you probably know the ABCs of NL play.