PDA

View Full Version : shorthanded study group

08-15-2002, 01:14 PM
I got into the group after quite a long wait, but it was worth it. Playing with HDPM, mk420, Mikey, and Dynasty was a good learning experience. I showed most of my hands when I could so that you guys could critique my play. I just want to give some first impressions of play at a table filled with knowledgable players:

- The higher level of aggression makes it easier to release borderline hands.

- I was able to "make plays" which would have been useless at the normal UB tables. I tried to isolate the non 2+2er, re-raising him UTG+1 with pocket 9's, but Dynasty called on the button. What could you call with there? I thought I had bought the button for sure. The board was A-A-8-8 and you both folded to my turn bet.

- I have never, ever, seen so many hands folded to the button. Is this typical of a tough game? Would you consider the table we had as tough?

Thanks for the learning experience and I hope to join you again soon. Please critique my play. No hurt feelings here. Blast away.

08-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Last night was my first stab in it and wow, I have a lot to learn and think about. I have never considered myself very good at shorthanded play which is why I wanted to do the study group. The pace of the game had my head spinning at first.

I was disappointed the non-2+2ers didn't engage in chat. I asked one a non-poker question trying to get him to talk but he wouldn't. If I stumbled across such a group as an "outsider", I would have asked some questions to figure out what was going on. Too bad they didn't. It wasn't like our chat was running them down or abusive or anything. I will definitely try to play more. Maybe even the Monday session someday. If I can just keep the dog from bothering me while I'm in hands.

08-15-2002, 02:06 PM
mk420 said I was quiet, but the table we were at was a turbo table and I'm not a fast enough typer to keep up with it, so I'm quiet as a result. The non-2+2er was quiet, but I thought he played fairly well. I'm sure he knew he was in on something. None of those wild man tactics employed by the usual UB players. I found that when I was put to a decision, it was usually pretty clear. Fold, raise, or bet. Calling was usually the weakest play. I overplayed pocket 8's versus Dynasty and underplayed pocket Jacks against you. I've still got a lot to learn, but against non-maniacal players, I feel like my style is at least comfortable. It reminded me of my old home game in Seattle. We had a very regular line-up and when some drunk or maniac would enter the game and start throwing chips around, we would all hunker down and take turns destroying him. You could sense it when it happened. Last nights practice felt a bit like that, but there was no true maniac there. Maybe we can get a non-turbo table next time and slow down the pace somewhat. I'd be more chatty for sure.

08-15-2002, 02:18 PM
"and I'm not a fast enough typer to keep up with it, so I'm quiet as a result."

My solution is just to misread the board and splash around at random when it goes too fast.;-)

08-15-2002, 03:06 PM

08-15-2002, 05:00 PM
The turbo feature does make it difficult to chat in between hands.

I sat in a bad seat because I had Mikey or Jordan to my left and RipDog to my right. RipDog attacked my big blind every chance he could. Fortunately for me, I had quality holdings a few times he attacked my blings.

Having a few non 2+2 members makes the game more difficult. That player Sua called a raise from me with KJ and turned a set of jacks. Sua never showed any aggression, just letting me bet the hand. I had pocket rockets and check called the river.

Playing against Luv2win also proved a bit challenging. That player played a bit maniacal.

Overall I have had nothing but good experiences with the study group. In the future I suggest that we discuss/post specific hands.

Great playing with all of you and hopefully I will see you guys Monday.

You guys will get used to the turbo. It will help your game because you will need to make decisions quicker.

MK

08-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Sua to my left was a mixed blessing. He'd call w/ position on me with some hands I didn't quite expect. Then he'd play them passively. So I went more passive out of position w/ him. I think I misplayed a hand or two as a result, although I think being more passive against him was OK overall. I sort of looked to bet the flop and check the turn unless I really had something. Maybe catch a bluff or very thin bet on the river.

08-15-2002, 06:56 PM
mk420,

Let me tell you about love to win. I play with her in tournies as well as at the 5/10 real money tables at UB. She is manical with her real bankroll as well. A quick tourney example, I am in the BB with QQ it is folded to her with AJo, we both have T4000 and she calls 50(blinds at 25/50) I reraise to 500 and she makes it 1500 I call. Flop comes QJ2o I go all in for @2500 she calls. Runout AA and I am out of there.

In the 5/10 ring game it is no less remarkable so you probably saw her "normal" game. Scary huh? /images/smile.gif

Jimbo

08-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Dynasty called on the button. What could you call with there?

If I remember correctly, I called with a pocket pair below 88 and called on the flop to see if you would bet again on the turn or get scared off by the Ace and give me a free card. When the turn gave the board two-pair, you would have beaten me 92o.

08-15-2002, 11:53 PM
SIGH it figures dynasty came to sit down after I left, oh well I'll try to make it on Monday. Lets post more hands and talk about them.

08-16-2002, 10:00 AM
hdpm...maybe you should pay more attention to pooch..jmho..gl

08-16-2002, 11:30 AM
I thought you were on the button, but you were really in the BB, so instead of calling 3 bets, you only had to call two. Thinking back I guessed later that you had a smaller pair.

08-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Remember when I asked if the AQ test held for shorthanded games? Well I had just had it, although I don't recall what happened with it. Right after I had asked the question, AQo popped up for me again. This time it was three bets to me. I thought for a few seconds and dumped it. Is it correct to fold in that situation? I would think so. With all of that aggression it seems likely that my hand would be badly dominated by a big pair or AK. I remember a queen hitting the turn. Those are the hands that trouble me. I raise with AQ and AK almost 100% of the time and when nothing flops for me I either push too hard with them or fold for a flop bet. It is a really uncomfortable play for me. Any suggestions?

08-16-2002, 12:01 PM
"This time it was three bets to me. I thought for a few seconds and dumped it. Is it correct to fold in that situation? I would think so."

I think you didnt specify the situation good enough to give you good advice. For instance when someone posted in cutoff and openraised, button 3-bets and you're in the SB, it's totally different than you in BB and it gets capped to you. Both times it are 3-bets to call but the situations are totally different. I know this is obvious, but just wanted to point it out.

When in good position (that means button, otherwise it can't get 3-bet towards you in a 5-max game) I wouldnt fold (a few rare situations excluded). It's just too common that a raiser is isolated typicaly by a decent ace, so that you likely have the 3-bettor dominated. Often I cap it there. I'm in position, so I can't be easily pushed of my hand by a lesser hand and I can often take the free card against a medium pocket pair if I feel to do so. Also, your cap should make the hand so much easier to play. I can even imagine situations where I dump it for one bet one the flop.

The real problems arise when you just call a 3-bet. Your momentum is gone, and so is your read. You're doomed to make mistakes when you dont flop anything. So, either play it very aggressively preflop or dump it. I think that is a good default.

You write:". I raise with AQ and AK almost 100% of the time and when nothing flops for me I either push too hard with them or fold for a flop bet. It is a really uncomfortable play for me. Any suggestions? "

Playing AK and AQ can be very tough because a lot of players consider them "high quality" hands while certain kind of situations don't warrant it. Problem is, it's often good to push them hard, and it's often good to fold them. Therefore you, IMO, can't ask such a general question as you did. Post some specific situations with AK or AQ where you have troubles with, and a good discussion is possible.

Regards

08-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Did you call 3-bets cold with a pocket pair below 8? I think that's a (big) mistake.

Push medium (low) pocket pairs hard when it's HU. Not when it's raised and re-raised to you. Cold-calling doesnt give you the momentum you need to play them well, and you're often to the mercy of flopping a set. This is IMO a situation where those pocket pairs can prove expensive.

If I didnt read it right and it was not 3-bet to you, then ignore this post.

Regards

08-16-2002, 12:27 PM
UTG raised and I re-raised to try to get heads up with position, then Dynasty called to foil my plan.

08-16-2002, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't have called three cold with 77-22 no matter what. I think calling 2 bets cold in the big blind is very marginal to say the least and folding was probably my better play.

08-17-2002, 02:48 AM
I'll try to focus on those hands and post a few. This particular hand I was either in the cutoff or on the button. The play seemed fairly solid to that point, so that's why I put either or both of the raisers on a better hand. The second raise may have been an attempt to isolate and buy the button. I wish I had paid better attention or gotten a hand history now. Next time for sure.