PDA

View Full Version : Did I push my overcards too hard?

wuarhg
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
UTG+1 is TA-A (15%/7%)

I have A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif on button and I raise, both blinds fold and UTG+1 calls.

Flop 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG+1 checks, I bet, UTG+1 raises, I 3-bet, UTG+1 calls.

UTG+1 was a pretty smart tight player so I was thinking he probably read me for overcards here and I was doing my casual auto-bet, I decided to pop back and see what happened, and I figured I my overcard outs were pretty clean, although in hindsight, What could he have limped with? 22-88? AJ, maybe even AJs or ATs. This play just felt right at the time, I didn't want to get pushed around /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Turn Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG+1 checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls.

I figured this is a pretty good card for me as it's a scare card for pretty much every hand UTG+1 can have and it gives me additional outs.

River 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif
UTG+1 checks, I bet, UTG+1 folds.

River was pretty straightforward but what about the two other streets?

Is it O.K to occasionally 3-bet the flop with overcards against a smart TA-A?

wuarhg
11-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Forgot to mention that this is PP 2/4. Is my question no good since I am getting no replies?

slogger
11-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I would take the same line. Either that, or call his flop raise and raise a turn bet if I was feeling frisky.

The only hands you're worried about are the small-medium pocket pairs. What else is a player of the description you offered open-limping with from EP? Suited broadways? Might help to note whether most pots were played 5+ handed, or whether this hand was typical (3-4 players to the flop). If game was very passive preflop and often multiway to the flop, then UTG+1's open-limping reqs might loosen a bit.

Not a bad question at all. Give it some time and I think you'll get more replies.

Cheers!

wuarhg
11-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh sorry, this was a pretty tight table at this time. Maybe 2-3 players to the flop. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

StellarWind
11-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Likely hands for the checkraise are a pocket pair or a diamond flush draw. Once you realize this it becomes pretty easy to make a plan:

1. Call the flop checkraise. No point in putting extra chips in before you see the turn.

2. Fold the turn if the flush comes and you don't improve. You don't have nearly the odds required to draw against a pocket pair that could have a flush draw and might actually be a made flush.

3. Raise a turn blank for the free showdown. This allows you to collect from a flush draw before it busts. It's also possible an overimaginative player will talk himself into making a "good fold" with a small pocket pair.

4. Check behind if you don't improve on the river. No worse hand will call.

Another good plan is to follow #1 and #2 but just call the turn and river on blanks. He's likely to bluff the river with a busted flush draw. That's when he expects the overcards to finally cave. This plan is best against extra aggressive, tricky, or unmanageable TAGs. The first plan will work well against most low-level TAGs who will follow the script.