PDA

View Full Version : Getting PT - What to do?

dogsballs
11-15-2004, 04:55 PM
hi all.

I'm gonna go ahead and get PT (since I just found out you can also use it for PS HH's). I'm technically and computer unsavvy, so excuse the total ignorance.

So what should I also get and set up, re PoP3 email etc. Currently I'm on web-based email. What is POP3?

Yup, I'm dumb.

moondogg
11-15-2004, 05:06 PM
POP3 is a public standard for downloading email. Stands for "Post Office Protocol" or something like that.

Basically, if you setup POP3 on a Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail account, that means that you can download your email into your favorite mail program (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc).

If you currently have a free web-based email account, you can probably setup POP3 access for free or near-free (Yahoo cost something like $5/year).

The two ways you can use PT is to have PT scan your mailbox online, or you can download all your email to Outlook/etc and PT can scan you inbox (stored on your machine). I've found the second option to be faster, as it takes PT a long time to scan all your other messages online and I have my email program open all the time anyway.

Either way, you are going to need POP3 access for PS/PT, unless you want to manually save all your hand histories from email to text files and manually import them.

I use Outlook, but for &!%^ and giggles I tried using PT with Outlook Express and Thunderbird, and it didn't work. There's probably a way to get it to work, but I don't know what it is.

On the other hand, if you use AOL, well... just stop using AOL.

Kellon
11-15-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm awfully new to PT myself, but I can help with two things. Both of these assume you're using PokerStars, which I think you indicated in your post.

First, if you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an invite to Gmail, as I have a couple left. Gmail is implementing POP3 gradually and soon will roll it out for everyone. PT is working on getting Gmail POP3 to work with PT, as it doesn't seem to want to work as it should yet.

Second, in the meantime, you will have to have your HHs sent to whatever email address you currently use. Then you have to copy the contents of the message into either Notepad or Wordpad (do not use Word or any other word-processing application). Make sure word-wrap is turned off in Notepad. Afte copying the HHs, save the file. It works great to open a new .txt doc on your desktop for each session. You should save each file in case you need to rebuild your PT database, so you may want copy it to a PT folder after importing it. After you have created and saved the file, open PT and import it under File--Import Hand Histories--Select File(s) to Import. This sounds longer than it really is. Once you've done it a couple of times, it goes fast.

Hope this gets you going.

B00T
11-15-2004, 06:04 PM
www.hotpop.com (http://www.hotpop.com) has free POP3 mail accounts and there is info there on how to set it up.I use this for Stars and PT and it works fine...

Be sure to use the one of XXX@Sexmagnet.com /images/graemlins/cool.gif

KingMarc
11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
To get gmail to work with PT, you need to download a pop3 program, such as freepop. It allows you to use gmail. For information on setting it up..go to the PT forums.

Kellon
11-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I saw a post on the PT forum about this, but it was from before the time that Gmail began rolling out its own POP3 compliant email. I thought the pop3 programs allowed non-pop3 email systems to function for PT as if they were pop3. I'm not saying I'm entirely certain about this, but it's my understanding that now that some of us who have Gmail have POP3, that PT should be able to work with "native" Gmail. FWIW, PT support is looking into the issue of why Gmail, with POP3 implemented, doesn't seem to accept a connection from PT. If/when I hear something, I'll be sure to post it. In the meantime, I am able to get it by using the "Check Email" import option. On the other hand, if I'm way off base on any of this, I sure would appreciate your telling me. Seriously. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pointcount
11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
if you're on web based email like hotmail or gmail you cant get PT to automatically import your HH. I suppose you could cut and paste your HH into text files and then tell PT to look at them.. kind of cumbersome i know...

TobDog
11-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Download Freepops, and run it at startup, there is a link to it in the forums for PT, I got it and it makes gmail work like a pop3 mailbox, it also works for hotmail, AOL and lots of others if you like that sort of thing.