PDA

View Full Version : Turn 3-bet/fold

08-03-2002, 12:52 PM
5 handed 5/10 now.

2 limp to me on the button and I raise with AQo.

Both blinds call and everyone sees the flop for 2 bets each.

The flop is 892 with 2 clubs. My ace is of clubs.

Everyone checks to me and I decided to bet. I often check here behind with this many opponents, but in this case I bet because there could be a small chance that my hand was best and I might buy a free card on the turn (depending how many opponents would fold to my bet).

Everyone called.

The turn is an offsuit Q.

Again everyone checks to me, and I bet. Now the SB check-raises and everyone folds to me.

I didnt know much about this opponent. He just came to the table.

Now I decided to 3-bet. If he put a move on me with a flushdraw I would charge him max as well if he has a weaker Q. I thought if he capped then I could fold. I would then say he has most likely JT, or at least a better hand (dont you think?).

He capped, and I folded.

Comments?

Regards

08-05-2002, 06:33 AM
Good choice if you ask me. Most likely has Q9 or 89s.... very unlikely to be a bluff as you bet preflop and flop so he knows you must have something decent.

IMO, good fold.

John

08-06-2002, 06:02 PM
But for the same price you could have shown the hand down. If he's bluffing you don't want him to stop, he might fire again on the river if he busts his draw.

Reraising is good the times he holds a draw and would not bluff the river and the times when he has a worse Q (provided you value bet the river...).

Reraising is bad when he has a better hand and caps or when he pushes the move one more bet or when he overplays a worse hand.

I'm not sure which situations are more common. I guess it also depends on the opponent and wheter you wish to stop or induce a bluff.

Sincerely, Andreas