PDA

View Full Version : Awfully played hand

08-03-2002, 11:47 AM
One thing is certain. I played this one awful. But I really like to hear how you would play it and the plan for future streets with it.

It's 4-handed 5/10. UTG raises and it's folded to me in the BB. UTG seems reasonably tight preflop and a bit on the weak side postflop. But a fairly solid player overall.

I call with KsTs.

The flop comes J62 with one spade.

What would you do here? Bet out? What if called? What if raised? Check-raise? Check-call?

I bet out. Mainly because I thought UTG folded a bit too much on this kind of ragged boards.

UTG called.

Turn is an offsuit queen giving me an open-ender.

Now here is the biggest mistake I made IMO. I check-called. Puke. What do you think is the best option and why? Bet out again? What if you miss? Check-raise? What if called and missed?

The river was a blank.

We both checked.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

08-04-2002, 02:57 AM
clearly a checkraise or bet-3 bet or bet-call is called for on the turn depending on what you read the utg's flop smooth call to mean. player dependent. i reckon check-call is not an option at all.

neither is checking the river unless youre looking to check raise and try and get ace high out and perhaps some smaller pairs (unlikely at 5-10, but im guessing this was online so you never know).

preflop 3 bet makes a lot of sense to me as well.

08-05-2002, 06:36 AM

08-05-2002, 07:04 AM

08-05-2002, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your response.

I didnt like continuing betting too much, because I thought he was likely to call me down with Ace high. But I really do like the check-raise option and bet the river no matter what comes. I think that could push him of ace high. And yes, check-calling is not an option at all, and I keep thinking how on earth I could have made this play.

I dont like 3-betting preflop, but that might be just me. I hate being out of position with such a hand. Maybe I still play too poor out of position.

Regards

08-07-2002, 05:17 PM
You should NOT 3bet with 10 K out of position

against a player raising UTG with tight raising standards.

Your mistake was on the flop, leading with it is very unlikely to win the pot, shorthanded you usually cannot win raised preflop pots until the turn even against weak tight players. You either checkraise the flop and bet the turn or you correctly FOLD! check raising the turn is also not great because a weak player will just call your raise with any pair or AX and even call the river as well.

In this case you very well could have run most players off a weak ace, even on the flop, with a checkraise on either the flop or turn but that was surely a "tight" players weakest possible holding, not a read you can make.

I don't know why you would take such chances with such a small pot especially against a player who isn't trying to steal the blinds often and you have absolutely no read on his hand.

I do find it amusing that your play induced a semi-bluff from a "weak" postflop player on the turn.

08-07-2002, 09:02 PM
"You should NOT 3bet with 10 K out of position"

I think you state that with way too much certainty. Situations are often relative, even starting hand requirements. If a 3-bet gives you the momentum to often steal on the flop, then I see an advantage in 3-betting. I think that talking in absolute terms is the wrong way to look at shorthanded situations.

"Your mistake was on the flop, leading with it is very unlikely to win the pot, shorthanded you usually cannot win raised preflop pots until the turn even against weak tight players. "

Well, we obviously disagree on this one. I think a raggedy jack high board is the excellent board to steal against a weak tight opponent (but he wasnt exactly very weak as I stated in the original post).

"check raising the turn is also not great because a weak player will just call your raise with any pair or AX and even call the river as well. "

Ok, I see we got two entirely different definitions of weak-tight. In my book weak-tight means that they fold too much. Apparently you see it different, because calling a turn-raise and a river bet with Ax high is NOT exactly weak nor tight.

"I do find it amusing that your play induced a semi-bluff from a "weak" postflop player on the turn."

Well, I stated in my original post: "..and a bit on the weak side postflop." That is something different then awfully weak.

Regards