PDA

View Full Version : AKs... weakest of the weak?

Kaz The Original
11-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Home game. Wild, loose, and wacky. Half the players are doing cocaine. It's more like ante than blinds because every one's in. I've hit quads twice, and a royal flush. It's a crazy game. $.25/$.50 blinds.

I've got villian covered, he's got $70?

I look down at AK suited, in late position. It's limped around to me, I make it $3, goes back to UTG who limp-reraises to $10. He's got QQ, JJ, and MAYBE AA/KK but I doubt it. QQ/JJ 90% sure.

He's not gonna pay me off if I hit an Ace. He'll pay me a bit if I hit a king. He's gonna bet enough to make have to fold if I don't hit a flush draw or pair.

Fold it preflop to the $10 back raise?

kuro
11-15-2004, 04:11 PM
I take it by your question that you are one of the ones taking cocaine? You're an underdog to a pocket pair so why make a bad bet. If you're on cocaine and gambling you're just throwing yout money away both on the drug itself and on poor play. You can't make good decisions while drunk or on drugs.

If you just stay sober, you'll make decent money playing abc poker, because your oposition should be easy to read and should be making bad decisions. If you think you're behind then fold, because you'll have plenty of opportunities to make money off of their bad play.

Kaz The Original
11-15-2004, 04:15 PM
What are you talking about?

No, I wasn't on any drugs.

amoeba
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
why are you so sure no AA, KK?

because you believe he would smoothcall preflop with those? or because you believe he would raise more than $10?

kuro
11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
If you know he doesn't limp with AA or KK. Then the best he can have is queens. You're 53.7% to 46.3% if you chase to the river against queens. You'll hit the flop about 33% of the time. You'd have to pay 7 dollars to win the 14ish dollars in the pot. So that's 2:1 pot odds on your bet. That's just not high enough if you're sure he's going to push you out if you don't hit the flop and if you know that you're not going to get paid much if you do. Easy fold.

Like I said if half the players are on drugs watch them and focus on winning money off of them. That's an easy game.

Kaz The Original
11-15-2004, 04:40 PM
A number of reasons. I have no trouble reading this guy, we play against eachother constantly. Maybe it's in the way you can tell he really doesn't want to play a pot against me with that hand, but it's strong enough that he has to.

The game WASN'T that aggressive, and he just wouldn't limp-reraise with the ace's cause it would make it too hard to play post flop.

He definitely would not do it with kings. He HAS QQ or JJ here.

BigToga
11-16-2004, 08:33 PM
If I understand your post correctly, there is more than $14.00 in the pot when it comes to you and you only have to call $7 for his raise, correct? You said that it "limped around to you in late position" and that "I make it $3, goes back to UTG who limp-reraises to $10." so I'm guessing that there is around $14-$15 with the limper's dead money.

That's an automatic call to hit the flop IF you don't think he has AA or KK for me. You're getting at least 2:1 on your money and going in only as a slight underdog. Some would argue for going all-in here, I'm sure, but that's too aggro for my tastes.

EDIT - Oops - I read your original post as "He's gonna pay me off if I hit an Ace" (likewise for the King). Since he isn't going to pay you off, now it's much more of a gamble.... Sorry!