PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a good strategy for fast tourneys?

Yads
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I've been playing pacific SNGs and MTTs because the competition is pretty bad and also I got suckered in by a free chipset /images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway they have these multi tourneys that are fast, meaning the blinds increase every 5 minutes so 90% of the field gets busted out in the first hour. Anyway you really have to get some cards early on otherwise you're screwed. Does anybody have a decent strategy for this type of tourney. I've been doing ok playing a fairly tight strategy, but by the time there's only about 100 people left or so, i find my self with a below average chip count.

Klak
11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
having a below average chip count isnt really a big deal. id say just keep playing tight, pick your spots, and survive. dont worry about average stack sizes, just worry about survival.

zaxx19
11-15-2004, 04:03 PM
The best advice for someone who has some skills and can play post-flop is just steer clear of these roulette tourneys in the first-place. When blinds progress this fast it is more of a table game than a game of poker.

Yads
11-15-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best advice for someone who has some skills and can play post-flop is just steer clear of these roulette tourneys in the first-place. When blinds progress this fast it is more of a table game than a game of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm that's a good idea. What sites have $5.50 buy in tourneys that aren't ridiculous like these fast ones?

zaxx19
11-15-2004, 04:18 PM
ULTIMATE BET .COM HAS TONS OF REGULAR SPEED 5.00 TOURNEYS. After the 1st hour the play get s suprisingly good.

Klak
11-15-2004, 04:19 PM
pokerstars has some good 5.50's that dont go at an insane pace. you also start with more chips so the blinds are less of a factor until late.

Bobby Cannoli
11-15-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pokerstars has some good 5.50's that dont go at an insane pace. you also start with more chips so the blinds are less of a factor until late.

[/ QUOTE ]

MTTs? I haven't seen any MTTs for $5+.50 on there. Though I only check the times I can actually play, later in the evening. Though they do have a nice cheap series of tournies, Sun-Thursday at 9:30 CST, Fri&Sat at 10:30, buy-ins are $1 Sat-Mon, $2 Tues., $3 Wed-Fri. They also take no vig for these, every penny goes to the prize pool. Of course, you get no FPPs for them either.

I just wish Stars did have more tournies in the $5-10 range (not rebuy, either). It seems like they have a real gap between the cheapies I currently play, and the $30 or so tournies.

Agreed, though, I would avoid MTTs with 5 minute levels like the plague.

Bobby

zaxx19
11-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Again there are like probably 8-10 5 and 10 dollar tourneys a day on ultimate bet sounds like a better site for you in all honesty.

Yads
11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Hmm I play on UB regularly, I've only seen limit tourneys for $5, but maybe I'm being blind. Difinitely though the UB tourneys at least the sngs are a lot better.