PDA

View Full Version : Playing AKs against a LAG

TakeMeToTheRiver
11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I am playing in a live $1/$2 NL hold'em game. I have a stack of about $250 and a LAG to my right has a stack around $400. I have played with this LAG before. He sees nearly 75% of all flops and has shown down hands like T7s and K8o. In past games, he has been caught bluffing or playing middle pairs. And I have had some success playing back against him.

In MP, I get A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif. The LAG limps and I make my standard raise of $12 (which is in the standard range for this game -- rarely is there a raise under $10). Everyone folds to LAG -- who calls.

Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. LAG bets $20.

What do you do?

For whatever reason, assume I raise to $60 and he calls.

Turn comes 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. LAG checks.

What do you do?

fireman664
11-15-2004, 02:23 PM
check behind him. The only way you can take this pot is with the best hand, or with a bluff. If you think you can run him off of a moderate hand, then that my be a play....but his bet, then call (of your raise) on the flop looks like he hit something, or had the flush draw to me. (maybe even a moderate pp that he thought was good)

fireman

schwza
11-15-2004, 03:02 PM
he's giving you a free shot to hit an overcard. i'd take it. guys who will call a flop raise with 2nd pair generally aren't the type to make big laydowns. and i think there's a decent chance he has a flush, or at least a draw that he thinks is good enough to call with.

i think if you're committed to bluffing at this pot, you should do it at the river (esp. if a 4th /images/graemlins/heart.gif hits).

TakeMeToTheRiver
11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
River brought another club (I don't remember which one -- there were certainly low straight possibilities, but I thought it unlikely).

LAG bet $60. I went into the tank. I could not put him on any particular cards with any confidence at all. The stacks don't work out to the numbers I originally posted, but I recall that I had less than a $100 left if I called his bet. I had seen him lay down his hand to a river raise, but given the pot size I thought that it was unlikely here for another $80 or $90.

I folded, reloaded ($250 max game) and hoped for another opportunity (which didn't come in this session).

BK_
11-15-2004, 04:15 PM
guys im not sure why everyone is trying to bluff lags lately. its not the best way to play them. you beat them with made hands, exploiting their calling tendancies.

as for the hand, a lag is far more likely to have hit a pair on that flop and turn than a normal player.

Tilt
11-15-2004, 04:22 PM
BK is right. LAGs call bluffs down more often than your average player, so why bluff?

Also on this hand, alot of LAGs bet strong with a draw, and check it when they hit. You could be bluffing strong into the made flush.

TakeMeToTheRiver
11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
guys im not sure why everyone is trying to bluff lags lately. its not the best way to play them. you beat them with made hands, exploiting their calling tendancies.

as for the hand, a lag is far more likely to have hit a pair on that flop and turn than a normal player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. Obviously, I didn't take a second or third shot at it. Given his tendency to bet out on the flop (well over 50% of the time when heads up), do you think my flop raise was wrong? I though there was a significant chance he would put me on a big pair and fold or, if not, I would get to see the river if I didn't hit the turn.