PDA

View Full Version : study group hand

07-25-2002, 03:34 AM
5 handed 10-20(playchips) study session hand last night.

I am on the cutoff

SB mk420 BB dynasty UTG hitme210 cutoff: Jordan

button: rjrules

hitme210 raises to 20

I reraise to 30

Button SB and BB fold, heads up.

Flop Comes 4d Kc 7h

I bet 10 hitme210 calls.

Turn comes 8d.

Hitme210 bets 20 I call.

River 5c Hitme210 bets 20 I call.

I had QQ he had KdQc.

In almost every other hand we played all night hitme210 would bet/raise on the flop and turn with top pair and sometimes a lot less.

In this particular hand I did not put him on a king as he would normally bet out right away.

Comments?

07-25-2002, 04:01 AM

07-25-2002, 04:10 AM
In almost every other hand we played all night hitme21 would bet/raise on the flop and turn with top pair and sometimes a lot less.

hitme21 (mike l.) was playing hyper-aggressive in the game. I'd say the betting/raising with "sometimes a lot less" occured more often than when he had top pair or better.

I adjusted early in the game by checking and calling him a lot- even when I had top pair/top kicker. A few times I called down with hands he had crushed. But, more often than not, I caught him either bluffing or "value betting" a weaker hand.

I wouldn't laydown QQ (or second pair) against somebody playing as aggressive as hitme21 (mike l.) was playing last night. Calling down should show a long term profit.

07-25-2002, 01:54 PM
"In almost every other hand we played all night hitme210 would bet/raise on the flop and turn with top pair and sometimes a lot less"

i was varying my play a lot, playing quite loose, and very aggressive. i was playing the role of table maniac. i managed to burn off $1000 in play money chips. i was generally waiting for the turn and river to attack with top pair (or less) when i felt i had someone dominated or in a tough spot. but i was also conciously trying to vary my play to confuse opponents (with only some success as these guys play very well).

so im saying that i think you played the hand well jordan, you were forced to call me down there with QQ because of the way i had been playing the whole session. you had no reason to believe i had a K given previous betting patterns and raising me on the turn wouldve proved futile unless you had planned to make it 4 bets because i would certainly have made it 3 bets if you raised me. if you had come back and made it 4 bets on the turn then i wouldve folded right there.

you play very well and were second only possibly to dynasty in skill from what i could see. i did manage to induce several bluffs from you on the river by checking to you when you had missed and i had a showdown hand. that was the only weakness i could find and that is a minor one, if one at all.

the session was a lot of fun and i plan to return next time im home during one. i hope more 2+2 munchkins will join us.

07-25-2002, 08:55 PM
There is no reason to bet the flop. Since you made it three bets before the flop, if your opponent checks, the money should automatically go in there.

MM

07-25-2002, 11:47 PM
I am uncertain of what you mean by this the money should automatically go in? You mean he will bet automatically if I check?

07-26-2002, 03:19 AM
"I am uncertain of what you mean by this the money should automatically go in? You mean he will bet automatically if I check?"

i think what mason meant is this:

you said "hitme21 (me) was betting and raising a lot with top pair on the flop", but since i knew your bet was automatic on the flop given that you 3 bet preflop, why would i bother betting the flop? id be better off letting you bet your hands that are way behind like AQ, KJ, QQ-88, etc, etc. anyway mason was saying i knew your money would automatically go in so my play almost no matter what was to check to you on the flop.

ill add this: then when i bet into you on the turn (the old stop and go routine) it's confusing to you. should you raise? should you fold? call me down? because id been playing so aggro and sporadic you were forced to call me down

if you bet the turn and i checkraise and you decide to laydown i lose a bet. that still maybe shouldve been my play given that you probably wouldve been forced to pay me off to the river anyway, but when i made the bet i was actually hoping you would raise me with hands worse than mine and then call my 3 bet and river bet. so what i was trying to do was make 4 big bets on the expensive streets.

btw if i were you on the turn i wouldve definitely raised. i couldve easily had something like middle pair good kicker or a pocket pair less than QQ that i wouldve paid you off with.

07-31-2002, 08:58 PM
how do u do if u want to play in such a training session?

08-01-2002, 02:28 AM
mike,

since you plan to bet the turn when a blank hits (as you did) and since you are out of position, it seems better to check raise the flop than to check call.

08-01-2002, 02:39 AM
"since you plan to bet the turn when a blank hits (as you did) and since you are out of position, it seems better to check raise the flop than to check call"

i felt that a stop and go move where i just call the flop and then bet the turn may convince him to raise the turn with a worse hand and then i could make it 3 bets.