PDA

View Full Version : trash talking - a legitimate tactic?

07-22-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm interested in your views concerning the ethics of trash talking an opponent in a heads up game. I have played a fair amount of heads up poker, though not as much recently, and also watched many hours at bigger limits. I have noticed that certain players seem to have a routine of verbally disparaging their opponents. I was debating with a friend recently whether trash talking in a heads up game is no different to check raising in a ring game. Does it become more acceptable in this format?

Regards,

Richard

07-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Whether its legitamate or not i dont know, but I personally use it a lot in heads up and find it helps to make your opponent do as you wish via the "trash talk". Only problem with it is that you must be very careful as depending on what you say you could be giving your opponent tells.

In my mind it is definately a viable tactic which is worth trying to see if it suits your style.

John

07-29-2002, 04:04 PM
You can go ahead and trash talk all you want. Maybe it will even up your bottom line a bit. Whether it's legal or not is completely unrelated.

It's just bad sportsmanship, plain and simple. Not to mention bad for the self-esteem, just like cheating - it has that same "I'm such a bad player, look at the depths I need to sink to in order to win!" mentality that will eat you alive.

M.