PDA

View Full Version : Passive flush play

JDErickson
11-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Party Poker 2/4 10 handed

Very Loose Passive table.

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG and limp. 5 others limp along.

Flop (6 sb)
8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB bets, I call, everyone else calls.

Turn (6 BB)
9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets, I call, 3 others call

River (11 BB)
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB bets, I call, rest fold

FInal pot 13 BB

Comments??

Rico Suave
11-15-2004, 10:19 AM
JD:

I think the turn call is fine, but I would raise the river.

--Rico

Lost Wages
11-15-2004, 11:16 AM
I understand your reasoning on each street and occasionaly I have "trapped" myself into taking this line as well.

On the flop, I think that you should raise to protect your ace outs and build a pot. If 2 players cold-call (it is 2/4 after all), that's the same pot size as it would be if all 4 call.

Given that you didn't raise the flop, I think the turn call is OK. A raise when the flush card hits is likely going to drive everyone out. Hope someone hit a smaller flush and raises.

On the river, you have to raise. With the 4 straight on the board it's going to be tough to get overcalls unless of course they have a straight in which case they will at least call 2 bets.

Lost Wages

gamblore99
11-15-2004, 11:41 AM
I play it the same, but the river raise is must, especially when there are only to players yet to act. If you had 3-4 that might make it debateable, but with only 2 you need both to call to make it a good play, which is very doubtful. I don't agree with lost wages on the flop raise. As he said, if one of the 2 players yet to act calls a double that will be the same money in the pot, but if one or both of them folds they cant call bets on the turn or river. If one does stick around he may get scared from your raise on the flop and fold the turn if he doesnt improve.

StellarWind
11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I've done this before. It's very seductive.

I think you should raise the flop to protect your bad-kicker ace outs and one-card backdoor straight draw.

I would have played for overcalls on the turn too.

The OESD-on-the-board river polarizes the field into haves and have-nots. Those who have will payoff whatever it takes or even reraise. The have-nots are unlikely to overcall at all. Your turn call has disguised the nuts. Easy raise.

MoreWineII
11-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Raise the river, straights will pay you off.

JDErickson
11-15-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the river, straights will pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinking also. Someone hit a straight after me and a check and their bet would allow me to CR.

Unfortunately no one after me hit anything. BB turned a straight.

I kept thinking I want to win the most money here. With all the callers after me I thought I would make more this way on river.

Guess I should stop assuming things /images/graemlins/smile.gif and raise the damn river