PDA

View Full Version : Head-Up No-Limit Hold 'em

07-20-2002, 10:30 AM
Whenever I participate in NL tounaments I often find myself in a position I cannot seem to handle. With only myself and another player left I cannot handle aggresive play. They completly run me over. What approach should I take vs. agressive play?

Also, is there any site discussing different strategies head-up in NL? I really feel I need to improve my game in this area.

07-20-2002, 10:40 AM
in any game you cant let people run over you or dont play with them. at some point, and that point is before they take too many chips is too make a stand. it may mean raising allin or just alot of chips. you need to do it frequently enough to slow him down. if your arm cannot push then play limit, although you have to do it there too.

07-20-2002, 05:46 PM
Sure, that's obvious. But perhaps I've just been unlucky enough to make my stands when my opponent hold big hands, last time I found myself looking into some eyes twice in a row. Might just get a lil more lucky.

Still, I'd like to find somewhere to read about different approaches to head-up NL. Sure I could just put a lot of chips in the middle a lot of times head-up but my grasp of what hands are fair-to-good when head-up really stinks.

Might as well buy some book about NL but if there's a good site who brings the subject up I'd love that.

07-25-2002, 09:58 AM
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THIS?

How to slow down an aggressive player, who literally bets every flop, then is selective on the turn against typical opponents?

If he's betting every flop and following through selectively: i.e. giving you credit, just call behind him almost every time on the flop. It's just a larger ante, and you still have position on him, with an undisclosed hand. The problem that you face if you don't do this, is that he gets the money when u both miss, but he backs off when you hit and he doesn't.

Look at it from his perspective:

Imagine how he feels - he misses or hits a bit of the flop and bets, out of position. You call him: are you trapping him or will a rebluff work?

His odds for a bluff-steal have been cut.

If you make your play or not decision on the flop, he has +EV immediately unless you play at least 50% of the hands.

If you generally call on the flop and make your decision on the turn, he's now risking 4 to win 2; rather than 1 to win 1. His bluff investment isn't making such a good return anymore.

So he gives up betting every flop. You back off on some of your calls, and get your opportunity to steal.