PDA

View Full Version : Fold top pair for one bet on the river

Evan
11-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Party 3/6 (8 handed)

BB is loose passive pre and post flop, so is MP1

I have Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG
I call, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks

4 to the flop for 4.3 SB

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB bets, I raise, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, BB 3 bets, I cap, BB calls

2 to the turn for 6.2 BB

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB bets, I call

2 to the river for 8.2 BB

River: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, I fold

Festus22
11-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Not a fan of the flop cap.

Once you get it heads up, you're not getting value on any more raises and since you say BB is passive, I doubt he's 3-betting a draw. The free card play could work with the cap but if it doesn't, you're charging yourself too much to draw.

I think folding the river is fine especially with a 4 straight board. If the river was a brick, I might be tempted to look him up maybe 50% of the time.

Evan
11-15-2004, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I capped the flop for a reason. Not for value. When he 3 bet I still wasn't sure what he had. If I capped and he lead the turn i felt pretty confident putting him on at least a set and most likely a flopped straight.

That way if I made a second best hand (i.e. top pair) I'd be able to save myself 1 SB versus calling down.

xxxxx
11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Post deleted by xxxxx

Festus22
11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
If your passive read was right, I think you got everything you need to know when he 3-bet the flop. I doubt a passive player 3-bets with A-7 here. He's probably scared YOU flopped big when you raised and would not reraise if he didn't have the goods.

I like your line against a normal or aggressive player. But against someone who is passive, I give their 3-bet a lot of weight.

Evan
11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
The extra bet on the flop was 1/2 as big as a call on the river woulda been.

sthief09
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
if BB is passive and is betting the flop, there's a good chance he can beat one pair. that means your Q or J outs are no good, so there's no point in raising the flop. just call and let them come in and pay you off when you make your frush. it's a small pot so even if sometimes he has a hand like A7, it's still not right to raise the flop.

look what happened here. you raised the flop to clean up your pair outs, you got everyone else to fold, you hit a pair, then you folded the river. how much sense does that make?

sthief09
11-15-2004, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I capped the flop for a reason. Not for value. When he 3 bet I still wasn't sure what he had. If I capped and he lead the turn i felt pretty confident putting him on at least a set and most likely a flopped straight.

That way if I made a second best hand (i.e. top pair) I'd be able to save myself 1 SB versus calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does it matter? once he 3-bets the flop, you know one pair will be no good anyway

Evan
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
i thought that I had a chance to get a free card too.

sthief09
11-15-2004, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought that I had a chance to get a free card too.

[/ QUOTE ]

all I said was that being able to fold one pair is not a consideration, because after he 3-bets the flop, you can do that anyway

Evan
11-15-2004, 09:56 AM
okay, I gotcha. this sucks, I was all happy when i thought to do this, it seemed like such a good play. /images/graemlins/frown.gif