PDA

View Full Version : Another somewhat common situation..

AdamK
11-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Playing in a heads up pot with 2 small pair against a 4 flush board on 6th....

How often would you say that you check-call & check-call again unimproved on the river?
I know this is a very general question, and obviously highly player dependent.
Against some players i fold this on 6th before they look at me.
Sometimes i think i'm giving too much up in this situation.

Against an unknown player, what factors would force you into them calling down?

jon_1van
11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
How many hands I think this person plays and what his/her up card was on 3rd. And if there betting indicated a flush draw at any point....but mostly pot size

If the player is tight they are more likely to have a suited card to go with there up card.

If the upcard is a K or other high cards they very well could have KKx...but this isn't great news for 2 small pairs.

But all these things will probably give way to pot size for me. If the pot was multiway for a long time and then everyone folded...I'd probably call. And I would rarely make an overcall with this hand.

Andy B
11-15-2004, 04:38 PM
My default play is to call down, and I'll do that every time against an unknown player. If a known quantity "has" to have the flush, and the pot isn't big enough for me to try to fill, then I'll fold sixth, but against most opponents, you're not going to be sure enough to lay it down. Once you get to the river, the pot's usually plenty big enough for you to call one more bet with a mediocre hand. Bear in mind that if your opponent has random hole cards, he is more likely than not to not have a flush. Of course, most people don't play random hole cards, but there is usually enough of a chance that he doesn't have a flush that you can profitably call down with two pair.

Is splitting infinitives allowed on this board?

AdamK
11-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Splitting infinives is fine by me - maybe best to leave them out of your forthcoming book though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know a lot of players with default play to call down - but im not so sure. (BTW. I'm mainly talking about shorthanded games heads-up on 4th st.)
Clearly, if i call on 6th then im gonna call the river.
But facing a board of (say) 2 overcards to my top pair on 6th, i often run scared. Not so much the flush that worries me, but also the possibility of the two bigger pair.
If i think im going to have to call two big bets virtually dead, then i usually give it up on 6th.
You think i'm giving up too much?

Is bad gramma allowed on this board /images/graemlins/confused.gif