PDA

View Full Version : question for 6+ tablers about swings

fearme
11-15-2004, 04:35 AM
i just jumped from 4-6 after i got my new monitor, and had my worst week losing 12k after a wicked run of cards, then i took a break came back and made 9k in 3 days, i thought playing more tables would bring my variance down since its harder to lose at all the tables, for u multitabling maniacs did u find adding more tables brought crazier swings??

Inthacup
11-15-2004, 04:49 AM
I don't find the swings crazier, just more rapid.

Cup

Blarg
11-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I did.

Lawrence Ng
11-15-2004, 09:04 AM
I find that my play severely deteriorated at 6 tables, as opposed to 5. The swings are not worse, just happens more quickly either way because you clearing the long run far faster.

Lawrence

laja
11-15-2004, 02:55 PM
After you have played 100,000 hands looking at all the swings in that category there will be some much higher than the swings of just a 50,000 hand sample = the more hands you play you will get more swings. However adding more tables does not increase variance, only the small amount by which your winrate decreases does it affect variance, but it also helps with variance more than that as you get to play many more hands and the more hands you play the more even things get.

Schneids
11-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Crazier swings within 15 minute spells. Generally, less "weekly swings" since I play about the same amount of hours/day with 8 tables as I previously did with four.

If your WR drops much as you increase tables your variance will increase a lot.

fearme
11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
i feel real comfortable on 6 tables, but when i try 7 things get so hectic, was wondering if it took u a while to build up to 8 or was it easy for u 2 begin w/, since i would like to eventually run on 8

ode
11-15-2004, 10:19 PM
I find it hard to concentrate in watching TV, browsing web and chatting on IRC if I play more than 4 tables.

Is it just something you get used to? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ode

Sponger15SB
11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
yes, it is.

Schneids
11-15-2004, 10:23 PM
I found the transition pretty easy. I've heard of others that think the same but most people I've heard of start to struggle a little after 6 (though I'd say I've only heard the thoughts of about 8 people total who've tried to 8-table). FWIW I played 4 tables for well over a year on a daily basis so that may have eased the transition some. I dunno yet if my WR on 8 tables is any better than what it'd be on 6 tables (I basically jumped straight from 4 to 8). I'll know that in 3-6 months...

MicroBob
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I know you were playing 6-max before Schneids.
Are you now playing 8 tables of 6-max?? Good god!!

47outs
11-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Yo,

When I play on Party and skins, I 12 table. It's not too bad to keep up with but you get burnt out real fast. Anything over an hour or so you start to see double, so then it's like 24tables. Like I said, 1 hour only. I only play there once or twice a week because I'm not a huge fan and spread only play 1/2 up to 3/6.

outs

Schneids
11-15-2004, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you were playing 6-max before Schneids.
Are you now playing 8 tables of 6-max?? Good god!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all 8 are 6-max.

MicroBob
11-15-2004, 10:44 PM
You are a truly sick individual.
But you probably already knew that.

Anyway, I'm pretty damned impressed.....and I don't impress easily.

Piers
11-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Could be. I had a really bad time the first time I played at 12 tables /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Part of the problem was I was playing 4 tables at True (Needed to fit 12 tables into my two monitors), and True has about the worse graphics for multi-tabling /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Went back to varying between eight to ten no problem /images/graemlins/smile.gif Got a couple of new monitors in the post /images/graemlins/cool.gif, so should be able to try twelve again soon.

I think when playing around ten plus games, having a very clear interface is very important. You have not got time to work out what is going on, you need to see it at a glance.

fearme
11-16-2004, 02:08 AM
8 tables of 6 max, 12 tables lol, watch out for carpal tunnel

Blarg
11-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Amazing just to think about the number of hands. The rakeback alone must be phenomenal.

Lawrence Ng
11-16-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After you have played 100,000 hands looking at all the swings in that category there will be some much higher than the swings of just a 50,000 hand sample = the more hands you play you will get more swings. However adding more tables does not increase variance, only the small amount by which your winrate decreases does it affect variance, but it also helps with variance more than that as you get to play many more hands and the more hands you play the more even things get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mentor,

I had to read this post 3 times before I could understand it all. Yes, the more hands more hands played will even things out faster. But my ability to play 6 games is quite detrmental to my overall game. I'm missing hands here and there and I just can't make the decisions fast enough. The marginal value I get is too little for me to add the extra 60 hands an hour. I think I will easily suffer .5 BB/100 hands through that extra game.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Amazing just to think about the number of hands. The rakeback alone must be phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close to 50k hands a month. Assuming 2 bucks rake each hand on average. That's well over 3k rake rebate a month...

Can you imagine if a cardroom did something like this where we got some form of a rake rebate back for playing? I think I'd easily have another $10k in my pockets... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

klagett
11-16-2004, 10:41 AM
I just made the jump to 8 tables yesterday from 4. Playing 2/4 so it's not like it's high stakes. But I found very little difference in the quickness of play.

Notes are very important. I love that new skin from the books/software forums it helps tremoundsly.