PDA

View Full Version : I Hate 2nd Pair To An Ace

gaming_mouse
11-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Pacific Poker Loose Passive (7 handed)

Hero BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG calls, folds to Button, who calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, everyone folds but SB, who calls. I hate this flop and the decision I have to make: Someone usually has an ace, but can I fold this? If your answer is "Yes, because the pot is small," how about if it was bigger? Also, would a check-raise be better here? Other options?

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Hero calls. Since I have the OESD now I don't feel bad about this call, but for sake of argument: Say a blank fell here. What then?

River: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, Hero (wishing he had the guts to fold) calls.

All comments welcome.

gm

Sadat X
11-15-2004, 04:29 AM
I don't like the flop bet with 5 players behind you. You're not going to win this pot by betting at it in this spot.

Turn is fine, if a blank falls and he bets = easy fold.

I fold the river with no improvement.

jordanx
11-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Ace overcard is tough, because everyone plays aces, but if they have weak kickers, they play them passively.

I usually bet this flop too.

I like the turn though, you have 13 outs to improve and beat a pair of aces.

If I had a good read on this guy I might fold this river. A lot of hands beat you. But if he is a yahoo or random it's probably +EV to call this down:

1 in 6 times someone likely shows down high card jack, pocket 4s or J8o here.

D.H.
11-15-2004, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop bet with 5 players behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG, button and SB. Who else is in the hand?

sthief09
11-15-2004, 09:08 AM
I love to play Ax like your opponent did. It's a great way to get someone to try picking up the pot, then trapping him into calling you. anyway, I'd probably end up playing it the same. when he bets the turn, he probably either turned a draw, turned a 7 (as a second pair), or doesn't want you checking behind if he's holding an A. when the river is a 7 that completes no draws, it becomes more likely he just has a draw. if the turn was a blank, I'd probably just muck it right there.

I think the flop bet is marginal too in a loose game. in tighter games it's an easy bet. you're out of position and likely to get a couple of calls, making it very difficult to play.

also, please don't make it so obvious that you lost in your posts. I know you're frustrated but it makes it extremely difficult to not be results-oriented when I know that you lost the pot.