PDA

View Full Version : Hand to talk about

07-16-2002, 08:08 AM
I had the following hand last night playing in the shorthanded study group.

I have the button with 7 6 offsuit. I call and we see the flop three handed. Dynasty has the big blind and LilBitt has the small blind. I get to see the flop cheaply so I limp.

Flop comes 8h 9c Ks

LilBitt check Dynasty bets I call

Turn 8h 9c Ks 5c giving me the nut straight.

LilBitt checks Dynasty bets 200 I raise 200 Dynasty calls.

River 8h 9c Ks 5c 2s no flush, I have the nuts.

Dynasty checks I bet Dynasty calls, I win with a 9 high straight.

I think the reason Dynasty paid me off, was because 1) he hadnt slept in 30 hours and 2) he didnt think I would actually play 76 off suit from the button.

In a short handed game, should a 67 off be played from the button? When I flopped the open ender, I didnt think I should fold.

Any comments?

MK

07-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Open limping in a 5 max game on the button is for me a no-no. Raise the crap or fold'em.

I would raise the flop. Play it fast, maybe you get Dynasty to fold on the turn, because he could very well be betting this king high board as a bluff. Furthermore, if he knows you as weak or quite tight, he might even fold a 3rd pair or something. But since you didnt raise preflop he might consider your chances of having a king lower. So another reason why you should have raised preflop (or fold).

For the rest the hand played itself.

"I think the reason Dynasty paid me off, was because 1) he hadnt slept in 30 hours and 2) he didnt think I would actually play 76 off suit from the button."

Mesa think Dynasty had a king and correctly called you down, because against teh far majorty of the players this is correct. Against you however, you might even fold that.

Regards

07-16-2002, 04:40 PM
I agree with Ikke, if you are going to play a hand like that preserving your chance of taking the pot with no showdown is crucial so you must raise preflop. That is practically one of the few flops and turns where you could actually have the best hand with those cards.

I'd really like to know what dynasty had.

But I can tell you noone would put you on that straight draw.

I would have raised the flop and bet the turn.

If dynasty was bluffing or betting middle or bottom pair he might fold either to your raise or on the turn, especially since you seem to play quite tight.

As it turned out playing it the way you did worked out you made your draw and made an extra bet more than playing it as I would have, but more often than not you aren't going to hit, and you want to leave yourself a whole lot of outs for him to fold.

If this was a hand you just used to vary your play it was a mistake not raising as well. You aren't going to change your image unless you showdown the hand and show you raised with 67. If I saw a player limping in with 67 I would be happy to have them in my game but wouldn't really change how I played you.

07-16-2002, 10:07 PM
I'd really like to know what dynasty had.

I think I had 98 for two-pair.

07-16-2002, 10:32 PM
What would you have done if he raised on the flop?

Reraise and then check call the turn and river right?

07-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Dynasty,

I figured you had either a set...AK or two pair..

I knew I had to raise the turn in case you slowplayed kings from the blind...you did that earlier in the session ..

See you tomorrow same Bat time..same Bat channel

MK /images/tongue.gif

07-16-2002, 11:14 PM
I probably would have called and checkraised the turn.

If I reraise the flop, I'm certainly not going to check the turn.