PDA

View Full Version : using poker tracker and losing

steelcmg
11-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Ive been playing poker for about 1 year and just got poker tracker about 2 months ago. Before using poker tracker i was a consistant winner playing lower limit cash games and SnGs i even would get to the final 20 or so in tourneys. Ever since i started using poker tracker i have been doing horrible. My bank account has dropped alot and i cant seem to figure out why. I tryied to compare my numbers to others who posted on here and they seem to be close. I only have about 6000 hands imported for cash games.

I feel like i take to many bad beats. I could play NL games for so 2 hours and be up 20 or 30$ and lose it all on 1 hand. And as soon as i feel like im getting back on top of the game winning again i go on a losing streak. I understand that there is times when u hit rock bottem in poker and things just go bad for months. Im wondering if this could be something normal and shouldnt worry about it. Or do i really need to figure out whats wrong with my game. Or if i should just try switching poker sites to see what happens. I would really like some searous advice here from people who have been playing for a long time and have gone through the same things.

PS> Im sure there are many grammer and spelling mistakes on here since my microsoft word isnt working.

bisonbison
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Im wondering if this could be something normal and shouldnt worry about it. Or do i really need to figure out whats wrong with my game. Or if i should just try switching poker sites to see what happens.

Yes. Yes. No.

SCfuji
11-15-2004, 01:21 AM
pokertracker is not to blame, given you are playing the same before and after you installed the software.

Blarg
11-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I haven't been playing hold'em for long, but enough to see extreme swings. Like one week I didn't really play all that much, and went up over 400 BB. The next week, I played a lot and lost about 150 BB.

Maybe you are taking a ton of bad beats; it could happen, and it could get worse. Maybe your game is a little off lately. Happens, especially when you're getting beat a lot.

The only practical thing you can do in response is try to keep as clear a head as you can while you play. Review your game, study good books like SSHE and TOP.

Outside of that, a few days off is often extremely beneficial. Money not lost due to tilt or lack of self insight spends exactly the same as money earned. So doing nothing can in a perverse way actually effectively add money to your stack.

I do disagree with bisonbison a little on one thing, though. Changing sites can be good for you psychologically sometimes. So do it if you feel like it. Sometimes pampering oneself psychologically is helpful. If you feel a little spooked or superstitious at one site, it's something you should get over and want to get over, but you don't have to do it right this minute. Right this minute, if you feel spooked, it's probably going to make you play gunshy or tilty somehow, so there might be a better time to tough it out and confront all fears and weakenesses than right this moment. There's time for that; right now you just have to get yourself on a psychological "even keel." So bop around sites a bit if it makes you feel better. It probably won't do anything but make you feel better, but that alone is well worth achieving when you're feeling bad or shaky about your game.

After a while, you'll feel better about things, and you won't have to worry about fighting the demons, becuase they'll have disappeared. Not that much point pushing it, now.