PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy Waiter: Pop On the Flop? (or the turn?)

private joker
11-15-2004, 12:09 AM
(The title of the post is because I flopped treys...)

Live 2/4 @ Hollywood Park (where the button is also a small blind, the $1 going into the jackpot drop), 7-handed

Table is pretty wild and loose; CO to my left only raises PF when he's in the BB, and he'll do it with almost any 2 cards, it seems (but he's not a factor in this hand); everyone else seems like normal calling stations or a bit LAGgy at times.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, button completes, SB completes, BB checks

Flop (6.5 sb): 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (7 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets </font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises </font>, CO folds, button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls

Turn (8.25 BB): 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets, Hero raises </font>, button folds, BB folds, MP1 calls

River (12.25 BB): A /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets, Hero raises </font>, MP1 calls

What's the deal with MP1's stop-and-go-then-stop-again?
Anyone wait for the turn to pop this?
How's the river raise?

bisonbison
11-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Nice hand.

mistrpug
11-15-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal with MP1's stop-and-go-then-stop-again?
Anyone wait for the turn to pop this?
How's the river raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I don't know. There's a huge range of hands this guy could have. I'd guess he's got no better than two pair though.
2. Yes. This hand screams for a slowplay IMO. There aren't many turn cards here that hurt you here.
3. I really like the river raise. You're ahead here way more than you're behind.

SCfuji
11-15-2004, 01:01 AM
good hand joker. way to keep pushing him.

private joker
11-15-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
good hand joker. way to keep pushing him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I wish you guys were right. This is the hand that put me on tilt for the rest of the evening. (Luckily I was smart enough to leave shortly thereafter).

Would you believe that MP1 turned over THE STONE COLD NUTS... 75s? Not only did he merely call my raise with the absolute nuts on the turn, but he just called my river raise with the absolute nuts. Can he not read the board? After his play here, how in the *WORLD* can I think he has 75? I'd much rather have lost to a set of 8s or 6s than this fcukin' bull$h!t.

I started to think that maybe I should have given him credit for betting into me on the turn after I raised the flop, and then again for betting into me on the river -- but jesus...

bisonbison
11-15-2004, 02:43 AM
I started to think that maybe I should have given him credit for betting into me on the turn after I raised the flop, and then again for betting into me on the river -- but jesus...

Take a day off, come back, read this post and realize how stupid this sounds.

BottlesOf
11-15-2004, 02:46 AM
Pop it like it's HAWT!

I probably play it the same. On the river, it's like wtf, he could have 44 or 57, but f that.

BottlesOf
11-15-2004, 02:49 AM
We're you playing edtost?

private joker
11-15-2004, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Take a day off, come back, read this post and realize how stupid this sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it sounds stupid, and obviously I didn't choose to follow that line of thinking. But after the hand was over I had to go through clues that this guy had a straight -- especially because the CO maniac to my left said "he came out swinging on the turn; didn't you put him on a straight?" (My answer: "uh, no").

Anyway, my thinking during the hand was that the ace helped him on the river and that's why he bet into me (maybe he had A8 or A6 and just got aces up), and were this hand to come up again I'll still go with that instinct and keep pushing this. I'll never put this guy on 75. Still, the hand burns me and I had to say that just to open up discussion on what possible clues there were.

BottlesOf
11-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Dude, don't let this burn you. Seriously. Things happen in poker a lot worse than this. Be positive.

bisonbison
11-15-2004, 03:03 AM
CO maniac to my left said "he came out swinging on the turn; didn't you put him on a straight?"

It's easy to look smart when you know the results.

private joker
11-15-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, don't let this burn you. Seriously. Things happen in poker a lot worse than this. Be positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.alibris.com/isbn/0/4/4/0/5/0440504708.gif

You're right. Thanks. It wasn't even that big a pot. Taken in conjunction with some other lousy hands, it made for my worst day at the tables since... well, since reading SSH probably. I was down 25BB in less than 90 minutes.

BottlesOf
11-15-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was down 25BB in less than 90 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It gets worse. Much much worse. Fortunately, you also make money.

gaming_mouse
11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
I'd much rather have lost to a set of 8s or 6s than this fcukin' bull$h!t.

joker,

well played. rather than being angry, you should be thanking the poker gods for filling the tables will players like this one. let them have their bones. it's what keeps them coming back.

cheers,
gm

mistrpug
11-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Joker, when I read the hand, I was thinking something along the lines of "Maybe Joker posted this because he lost to something rediculous like 57, but there's no way that guys has 57 the way he played it."

Rather than get upset about that hand, you should just try to be happy about it because he saved you some bets and because you know he's a pretty bad player so he's probably going to give his money back to you if you play long enough.

sthief09
11-15-2004, 08:56 AM
live 2/4 is the equivalent of Party Poker $.01/$.02

StellarWind
11-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Don't be mad. You got off really cheap.

I play it the same.

Evan
11-15-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker $.01/$.02

[/ QUOTE ]
You ever play that game during the weekday afternoons? Nothing but TAGs I tell you.

Leibniz
11-15-2004, 06:38 PM
You played the hand very well and I don't think anyone could reasonably put the enemy on the 75s. Instead of beating yourself up about your mistakes (which I wouldn't credit you with any mistakes really) take the time to think about how bad the play was of the enemy in the pot.

First, he has bad position and calls the big blind with only a 75s. Granted, it is a suited gapper, but in that position, it isn't a playable hand.

Second, the flop hits him with a gutshot straight draw. Someone to his right bets, he calls, then you raise and he calls the raise, again with only a gutshot.

Third, he hits his 4-outer and leads out in the betting... he gets raised... I can see maybe just the call of the raise, if he wanted to trap in other calls and then pop it on the river.

Lastly, on the river, he again has the stone cold nuts and bets out, you raise, and then he calls, with the stone cold nuts.

This person doesn't seem to have a clue. He starts the hand off making -EV plays and then finishes it with the best hand, but gets less money out of it than he could.

I know this was a beat, but I'd love to play with this person all day long. Just keep that in mind, rather than worrying about your own play.

Regards.

Shannon