PDA

View Full Version : Miami (OH) vs. Akron

MicroBob
11-14-2004, 09:24 PM
This game will decide the East Division champ and who goes to the MAC championship game.

As many of you know....I am very loyal to Miami.
But Miami at -7.5 just seems like a lot to me and I would be tempted to take Akron in this one (but I won't because I just can't make myself do it).

Akron has been playing very well of late....although their comeback vs. Marshall was nothing short of a miracle.
Miami has run up some scores late against lousy teams like Buffalo, UCF, WMU. And they really haven't won any more impressively then they should have. Last week at WMU they were 20-point faves and won by 21 (I didn't bet this one....20 points was way too high imo).

The Rubber Bowl is usually cold, windy and kinda miserable.
More importantly, Akron has articifical turf....which I believe is Miami's ONLY game on turf this season.

Miami has their own art-turf practice field for this week, but it doesn't make up for the fact that Akron is used to playing on turf and Miami isn't.

I expect this game to be a tough and probably close battle. Giving Miami 7.5 on the road is just too much imo.
I would probably take Akron if it didn't mean betting against my alma-mater.

scott1
11-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey Bob,

I've seen your posts on MAC games this year, but didn't know you were a Miami grad.

I'm class of '92 out of Miami.

Akron has been playing well recently, as you mentioned, but so has Miami's defense. Akron is built around their QB, kinda like Toledo. Miami's defense held him far below his season avg of 70% completions. I think this game will be similar.

As for the turf, Miami hasn't played on it this year but they do have a full turf practice field - at least they did when I was there. If the weather is decent the turf should be a plus with Maimi's speedy receivers.

I think Miami will win by 10 or 14 points by holding Akron to 17 or less. But I won't bet on this game either. Betts (Maimi's QB) gives away too many turnovers.

largeeyes
11-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Class of '03 /images/graemlins/wink.gif THey do still have the full turf practice field....we had flag football intramurals on it. I can never bet on games where I may be a homer (Reds/Bengals/Buckeyes/etc.). If any incredible opportunity pops up, I'll take it, but usually stay away.

MicroBob
11-18-2004, 04:45 AM
All these Miami guys...weird.
I'm class of 93.
But I also grew up in Oxford, went to Talawands H.S., etc.
I also worked there for several years post-graduation.

I saw every home basketball game played for almost 12 straight years growing up including all of Ron Harper's games.

I also shot the coach's film for Miami for a couple of seasons so worked with Randy Walker and Terry Hoeppner and traveled with the team on the road, etc.

Not much to brag about as we were getting drilled by EVERY team 49-7....just explaining where my extreme loyalty to Miami comes from. I've been going to their football/basketball/hockey games for 25 years or so.

Anyway, I generally agree with your assessment.....except I don't read too much into Miami's defense. They did fairly decent against Toledo....and are definitely better...but far from terrific.

Practicing on a turf field for 1 week is different than practicing and playing on one all season like Akron.

Obviously both teams know what is on the line here....I anticipate a close battle....which is why I think an 8-point line is too much (it has moved from 7.5 to 8).

scalf
11-20-2004, 12:33 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif fwiw..

i am betting akron huge

gl

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

RunDownHouse
11-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Everybody is taking Akron in this one. Public dogs are one of the worst plays you can make. I'm staying far from this one.