PDA

View Full Version : A Little Less Standard?

07-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Still online $3/6, just four players in the game now.

UTG folds, I raise Ts9d on the button. SB and BB call.

Flop: 6s-5s-5h. Checked to me, I bet. SB check-raises. BB drops, I call.

Turn: Qc. SB bets, I raise.

Comments?

lars

07-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Preflop:

I would say a raise here IMO is not automatic.

You didn't give enough details on the players.

Sometimes SB and/or BB almost always defend.

Sometimes they almost always call a flop bet

with anything (ex: Flop A68; they call w/ KQ

or less..I had a similiar player call with 73

off in that spot this week)

Sometimes players only loosen up post flop on

raised pots.

Now notice there is a good counter-strategy for

all 3? (Im sure there are more...But that's what I

look for)

Flop:

If player is aggressive he may have A high..

Aggressive player would have probably 3 bet

preflop with med. pair or A6 suited..

I would just call here too..If the flop was

766 I would reraise.

Turn:

It doesn't hurt to try to feel your opp out

with a raise...Sometimes people will call you

all the way down with a hand like 33, and your

scratching your head...Then you know a scare

card isn't so scary for this type of player,

and adjust by drawing less to overcards by

the turn at least depending on pot size.

07-06-2002, 12:15 AM
In a full ring game, I would go for a blind steal every time with T9o on the button. However, in a short-handed game, you have to expect the blinds to defend more. Your stretching your raising standards here a bit.

I'm not too thrilled with the turn raise. I prefer my bluff-raises to be with hands that have genuine showdown value- such as big Aces. At the very least, I want to have some good outs. If the board were 8,7,7,Q, I would like the turn raise since you will likely win with a 6 or Jack on the river and may win with either a Ten or 9. That would be up to 14 outs if you are behind.

07-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Unless I´m against very good players, I would raise the T9o as you did. I value position so high in shorthanded play that I think I can make well up for it in this type of games (3-6 5 max paradise, which I also play a lot).

The rest of your hand is totally dependend on your opponent, and I wouldnt make it unless I knew my opponent is weak. If he´s weak enough to fold a pair of sixes or maybe even a pocket pair below a queen, then, sure, raise. But in my experience a lot of players will call you down with that, especially when the board is two flushed and paired (making it more likely you will either bluff or semi-bluff).

Regards

07-08-2002, 04:42 PM
To me it seemed like the obvious decent/poor Ace play. Players are less inclined to fold these in SB short-handed to a button raise. The flop comes pretty innocent and he's even given the chance to isolate BB (who will need at least a Six or a good draw to call two cold here).

It seemed very much like a A-high "teach the button" a lesson play, which is frequently used at LL short-handed. You just can't do all that cold-calling in SB (if that's what you "like" to do) with mediocre Aces and drop like a stone unless the flop hits you. Calling does not appear pretty tempting either.

When the Queen fell on the turn, I felt confident that my opponent would have A-high by far a large enough percentage of the time to make my "pure bluff" raise (actually not true against A-high, against which I have usually 6 and at least 3 outs) profitable. The only question is will he FOLD the A-high often enough?

He did fold this time though, as anyone who "know" my posting style probably would've guessed.

larssa

07-09-2002, 05:58 PM
you have to understand that in shorthanded play that you are already beat before the flop. Hands such as 10/9 suited go down so much in value that they are not even worth playing unless two people have limped in front of you. Your play on the flop is a mistake too in my opinion. I mean the guy could have a pair of 3's and have you beat, you have to abandon ship here, even if he is check-raising you with A high.