PDA

View Full Version : Standard Short-Handed?

07-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Online $3/6, full Max-5 table.

Cut-off posts big blind! Max-5 classic. I pick up QhJd UTG and raise. With extra money in the pot, is this legimate? What if CO is a known calling station? Is the move better or worse?

I am called by CO and SB.

Flop: A-K-T, two diamonds. SB check, I bet, both call.

Turn: 4c. SB check, I bet, both call.

River: 4d. SB check, I bet, CO fold, SB call.

This may appear pretty straight-forward, but:

As already asked, the raise pre-flop?

Check the flop?

Check the turn when it's "confirmed" they have at least something? Check the turn if CO is fairly solid?

Clear value bet on the river with the board pairing and third diamond after double calls the whole way?

lars

07-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Wouldn't you always raise first-in with QJo in a 5-handed game?

With extra money in the pot, is this legimate?

The extra money is actually a reason not to raise pre-flop. With the extra blind posted, there are now three players to defend their blinds/posts and it will be more difficult to win without a showdown.

When a player(s) posts in late position, you shouldn't lower your raising standards. However, you should definately lower you limping standards.

07-07-2002, 01:03 AM
I'm with Dynasty on this one. You're probably going to have to show down a hand, but you definitely want to see the flop, so limping is best. On the flop, bet. Playing short-handed, you probably bet enough flops with flimsy values that you should also bet when you actually have a hand. Keep betting until you're given a reason not to. I wouldn't be too frightened by the river card either. There's no reason to think that anyone has filled up. If someone had two pair or a set, he would likely have raised. And I wouldn't be overly concerned about the flush. You have a diamond yourself for a little extra insurance. You have a solid value bet on the river.