PDA

View Full Version : a turn fold

joker122
11-14-2004, 08:14 PM
party 5/10

utg limps, button limps, sb completes, i check with Ad4s in the BB.

flop A67 with 2 clubs

sb bets, I raise, utg and button call 2 cold, sb calls.

turn 2h

sb bets and i fold.

sorry about this. the basic hands aren't so basic anymore.

chio
11-14-2004, 08:22 PM
sounds fine to me, folding to the original flop bet isn't out of the question for me either because

(1) pot is tiny
(2) 2 more players to act behind you
(3) kicker sucks

stripsqueez
11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
its a spooky sort of hand

everyone cant have an A and the turn seems unlikely to have improved anybodys hand - obviously you have some severe kicker problems if someone does have an A

i dont think its basic - i think its a big fold but fold is ok - i really want to raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

joker122
11-14-2004, 10:54 PM
sb got 2 callers on the turn and only the button called the river, which was an offsuit 4. i forget the exact hands, but SB had a 7 and button also had a 7 with a better kicker.

i simply didn't see how i could have the best hand after getting 3 calls on my flop raise.

MAxx
11-15-2004, 12:31 AM
i agree that it looks like a spooky hand. looks like ok to me kind of like what stripsqueeze writes. the only thing i have to add:

The board has some flush and straight draws, and there was limping pf. I would think at least a few of the flop cold callers were on some kind of draw. I would like your play a little more if there wasn't a drawing board.

I hear you when you say nothing seems basic anymore, a bad run will do that to you sometimes.

PackerFan22
11-15-2004, 12:37 AM
+ev

Mr. Amanti
11-15-2004, 01:14 AM
I agree, read the small stakes book, make that call

Scotch78
11-15-2004, 04:43 AM
With a lot of potential draws and several people to act behind you, I'd call the flop and raise a blank on the turn. It'll hurt the draws more, protect your hand better, and also has a better chance of getting a stronger ace to fold before showdown. If the hand went that way and the SB called your turn raise, I might also check the river unimproved as a missed draw won't pay off but a better ace might.

Scott

joker122
11-15-2004, 04:47 AM
what part of SSH should I read?

Scotch78
11-15-2004, 05:00 AM
The part you haven't read twice already.

Scott

kiddo
11-15-2004, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like your play a little more if there wasn't a drawing board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this would have made me call turn.

Zele
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I don't remember Ed Miller's chapter on the merits of being a calling station either.

Good fold.

Guido
11-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Zele is back!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jomatty
11-15-2004, 10:10 AM
its tough not to become a calling station on river and turn at some of the 10-20 5-10 tables at party. Ive made some folds that im continously amazed are incorrect. The things people will sometimes call with knowing a player behind them has been aggressive throughout the hand amaze me much more than the junk people bet with. In this hand i dont think it makes much of a difference what you do as i think the equity in calling, folding (and maybe even raiseing) are fairly close.
matty

djoyce003
11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
The only reason i would be included to call or raise is that i've seen too many people call the flop bet, even if it's raised, just to see if the turn helps them at all. I can't tell you how many times i've had top pair, gotten 4 calls on my flop bet, and then gotten 4 folds to my turn bet when a blank fell....happens a lot. People think they are right to call that flop bet because "it's only $1". Not sure if the play is all that much different at the 5/10 level...certainly doesn't sound like it from this thread. I'm very reluctant to lay down top pair with bad kicker unless i'm facing extreme aggression. I would probably raise the turn bet with this hand and fold to a re-raise.

Zele
11-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Cheers, Guido. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No more sabbaticals for me.