PDA

View Full Version : Some hands from newbie for critique

Akimka
11-14-2004, 07:24 PM
As I said above i'm new in NL so i need adaptation to this new poker for me. For now i will begin studying forum from beginning but i think i need to evaluate some of my plays because may be (but i hope i'm not) I doing big mistakes. So hands:

I am at button with TsTd, MP3 calls, CO (forced blind) checks, i bet $4 (too much?), MP3 calls.

MP3 is for 38 hands: VPIP 42.11, PF raise 0. So totally fish.

Well, CO folds, FLOP IS: 7s3s9s, MP3 bets $2 (i suspect flush draw), i raised $15, he calls, TURN Kd, he checks, i bet 13.10 (all in), he calls. Other part of hand is not interested because of all-in.

My thought considering his play - he may have bigger pair than my TT, but it's a questionable, because I belive even total fish will raise with QQ-AA, so only hand in question is JJ. He may be on draw or may be he complete his flush on flop, but if he had complete flush i think he reraise me on turn. So i put him on flush draw and bet all in to reduce his odds to max. But i fear this is overagressive play. What do you think?

Hand #2
I am on BB with Kd3h, UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 limps, MP1 limps, MP3 limps, MP4 check (forced blind), SB completes and i check. Flop is Kh9d4d, SB checks, I bet $3 - I have top pair and if i will not improve i will check turn.
UTG and UTG+1 calls, UTG&UTG1 is total fish for 15 hands - they have about 50VPIP and 0 PF raise.

Other table folded, TURN: 3c - card that i want (K is NOT what i want).
I bet $10, UTG folded, UTG+1 calls, RIVER: 2c.
I check, UTG+1 bet all in ($13.65), i called.

Is that call bad? Is my flop action is bad?

Thank you for you answers - i really need them to became NL player.

DonWaade
11-15-2004, 01:26 AM
First of all, It would be helpful to know what the betting stakes were. For instance, in Hand One, you said that you bet $4. I am not sure how big that is in relation to the blinds and that is a valuable piece of information. In hand 2, again, I am not sure the stakes and thus do not know the pot size, but I don't think that it is a "bad" call. To me it screams a set or straight, but I am an unorthodox player at best.

If you can provide more information in your posts, I will be able to give a better response, and I am guessing, but I think that other people will to. Good Luck

Akimka
11-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Oh, thank you for this note because i totally missed out this stack thing.

Blinds $0.25/$0.5

Here stacks for this hands:

1st hand:
I am at $32.10
MP3 at $44.80
CO at $17.50

2nd hand:

I am at $25 before posting blind, UTG+1 at $27.15.

Is this change anything?

DonWaade
11-15-2004, 05:02 PM
I like your agression in Hand One. A lot of players will say to slow down, but I dont like it either. Maybe it is a lesson that I have not learned yet. The $4 PF raise is a little big by the book. (Usually 4 times the BB) But no one is going away either.

Akimka
11-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Well i think i need to say that i won both hands. That one with TT i won from AdQs, second one i won from busted flush draw.

fireman664
11-15-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, thank you for this note because i totally missed out this stack thing.

Blinds $0.25/$0.5

Here stacks for this hands:

1st hand:
I am at $32.10
MP3 at $44.80
CO at $17.50

2nd hand:

I am at $25 before posting blind, UTG+1 at $27.15.

Is this change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

stack size is of the utmost importance. In other words, that should be a big contributor in your decision process on how to play a hand, or even if to play a hand.

examples

1) with blinds $1-$2, and a stack size of $100, we get dealt a quality starting hand from EP. We raise to $8. Everyone folds to a player who only has $12, and he pushes all in. its folded back to you. In this situation you dont even need to analyze your opponent, your too deeply involved, and cant loose anymore money, just push in and see who wins.

2) same situation as above, but now he has $30. So his raise is $22. his raise is roughly the size of the pot, and therefore you would have to fold your weaker holdings. There will be no more betting though, so you are getting a good price with legit raising hands like AK, JJ ect.

3)We both start the hand with $65. He re-raises my $8 bet to $22. BEWARE!! This hand differs greatly from the above example. In this hand, my opponent very likely has a big hand (and is risking 1/3 of his stack). There is NO hand I can call him with. Either fold or re-raise. If you call you will be to commited to the pot anyway($43 left, $47 pot) so fold or push.

4) we both start with $200. He re-raises my $8 to $20. Now he has $180 still left behind. He is risking a much lower % of his stack. This means there is actually a larger aray of hands he might hold here. Neither of you are pot commited at this point, but that could change in just a few bets.

can you see why stack size should play a big role in your decision making? In example 1 you would call with just about any hand, but by changing the stack size the stratagy changes too.

I hope this helped, and didnt confuse you. I am sure others will add to/change this advice too.

DonWaade
11-15-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well i think i need to say that i won both hands. That one with TT i won from AdQs, second one i won from busted flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats, but try not to be to oriented in the results of the hand. You should be more concerned if you played correctly pre-flop and post-flop

Good Luck!