PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 and 10/20, 5/10 (5 max) at paradise

06-30-2002, 09:46 PM
I have played shorthanded and been a consistent winner at short tables up to 5/10 on several sites. I would like to ask what people feel about the 5/10 and 10/20 games on PP. I have found that the games are either tough and I am playing at negative EV, and/or the swings are enormous. I have lost like 100BB in a matter of a few hours.

Anyone have any thoughts??

07-01-2002, 02:03 PM
There are a fair share of tough players and lots of weak ones at PP.

The game it self is loose-aggressive. No matter how "good" you play, you will go on large large swings. If you dont know how to counter certain opponents styles and have poor hand reading skills, DONT play there. You will throw your money away.

07-01-2002, 08:34 PM
I am going to say two words that may make some people come unglued. For those that do, I understand and respect your perspective. However, this is my perspective..."Money Management". I call it "playing the swings". I would never suggest that anyone play until they won "X" amount. Putting a cap on profits is just plain dumb. I do, however, advocate a sliding stop-loss. Start with a session bankroll of some-number of big bets, 15, 20, 30, or so. Once that session bankroll is gone as you win AND lose in between, it is time to evaluate whether to continue to play or not. The session bankroll is gone and there is either a profit or a loss from the session. If there is a profit, has the table changed significantly from when you were winning?

The biggest obstacle for me personally is to separate the gambler within from the dedicated poker player. If I could ever master this concept, I would be looking at world thru my rear view mirror. The number one rule should always be to protect one's bankroll.