PDA

View Full Version : what's the stupidest/most irritating commercial on tv?

hutz
11-14-2004, 04:45 PM
What TV I watch is usually taped and watched later (so I can fast-forward through the commercials). I watch sports programming live, though, so I still get hit with some ads. I just saw one for McDonald's in which this stupid woman was having an imaginary conversation with someone who she apparently thought was trying to take her nasty processed fried chicken strips away. That gets my vote (based on a small sample size) for stupidest current commercial. Any other nominations?

eric5148
11-14-2004, 04:52 PM
I don't think this has been on for awhile but Bob Dole talking about his wang disorder was easily the most traumatizing thing I've ever seen on TV.

Sponger15SB
11-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Visa priceless commercials.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO played its not even funny.

benfranklin
11-14-2004, 05:03 PM
The most irritating commercials are the pecker-pill ads.

The stupiest are the Bud Light commercials. You wonder what went through their minds when they made those. One shows Bud Light drinkers mindlessly walking into a plate glass window because there is Bud Light in the window. The message on all of them seems to be that if you are a real idiot, you will like Bud Light.

Niwa
11-14-2004, 05:11 PM
McDonalds commercials are always a pain in the ass.

ClaytonN
11-14-2004, 06:03 PM
The McDonald's chicken select commercials are by far the most annoying. There's another variety where a guy goes seriously overboard in an empty room about people not taking his chicken selects. absurd.

Another annoying commercial is the people who act like automated telephone responders.

MelchyBeau
11-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Political Commercials. Thank god the election is over.

Melch

PhatTBoll
11-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Those are pretty bad. I find the Virgin Mobile "Christma-Hannu-Kwanzaa-Kah" commercials rather disturbing.

Rushmore
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
There is a commercial running now for some weight loss product--I don't know what the product is--and the recurring statement, nay, ORDER, we are given is:

"Just LOOK at me!!"

It's a bunch of women who, we suppose, used to be like 8 pounds heavier or something, and they all just keep ORDERING US "Just LOOK at me!!"

I mean, can't anyone just do anything gracefully and with dignity anymore? Do you need to be noticed THAT much?? Fine, you were once gigantic. Now, you are a little less gigantic. Be happy. Shut up. You went from Mama Cass to Britney Spears. Nice "belly shirt." Now you can get laid.

Christ, I hate people,

"Just LOOK at me!!"

Oh, I'm lookin. Why don't you step a little closer, so I can get a little better look? OK, just another step, ok...

BLAMMO!!

Broken nose.

Now SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

Sponger15SB
11-14-2004, 09:08 PM
hey rushmore is your name maddox?

http://www.friendsofmaddox.com/vbull/images/topics/26/topic.gif

Mars357
11-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Extra gum....with that piece of gum that thinks he's a bad ass and speaks with an Irish accent...

I swear, I'll never buy that [censored] again....

tek
11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The McDonald's chicken select commercials are by far the most annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and since I'm a middle age white guy who's not into urban hip hop, I'll stick with Wendy's.

ThaSaltCracka
11-14-2004, 11:14 PM
I'll go with the new commercial with Jessica Simpson talking about her acne problem. Which just barely beats the commercial with Kelly Ripa talking about her hair.

bonanz
11-14-2004, 11:18 PM
this thread is perfectly timed because i just saw a miller high life commercial and wanted to make a post about how lame they are and how bothersome that voiceover guys voice is

Rushmore
11-14-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey rushmore is your name maddox?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sir, my name is not Maddox.

What are you implying? It better not be mean, or my feelings will be hurt.

Sponger15SB
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
http://maddox.xmission.com/

he basically sounds exactly like you in your last post.

one of the funniest sites on the net.

billyjex
11-14-2004, 11:56 PM
"It's a brand new day!"

Man.. that chick must have been desperate for cash to do a genital herpes commercial. That's a career ender.

Also, I watch alot of ESPN, and this one guy is always on advertising his workout video. He's a tool.

Chicken selects commercials are pretty bad. If I saw that guy on the street I would have much pleasure in hurting him, real bad.

Sponger15SB
11-15-2004, 12:17 AM
HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT JOHN BASEDOW LIKE THAT!!!

no tricky dance moves, no high impact gyrations, just lean muscle built at a heart pumping cardio pace....

god i love that guy, i wish he was my father, how cool would that be?

Rushmore
11-15-2004, 12:38 AM
No, I was unaware of this imposter.

I just went and read a bunch of the stuff. Some great, some good, and a little that's not good at all, but overall, a nice find. I will visit again.

Is this guy famous? I don't want people thinking I copped any of my schtick from some Che Guevara-looking misanthrope.

maryfield48
11-15-2004, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this thread is perfectly timed because i just saw a miller high life commercial and wanted to make a post about how lame they are and how bothersome that voiceover guys voice is

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those the ones that were on ESPN incessantly during the WSOP? I'm with you - hate those commercials, hate the voice.

Blarg
11-15-2004, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The McDonald's chicken select commercials are by far the most annoying. There's another variety where a guy goes seriously overboard in an empty room about people not taking his chicken selects. absurd.

Another annoying commercial is the people who act like automated telephone responders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are definitely right up at the top!

Also, all the "cool" young fake-real hipsters being "interviewed" saying they love Fox news because the anchors are so great, etc.

And ANY car commercial. They all seem to have pounding, guitar-banging tracks that scream into my living room. That's annoying enough during regular hours to me and my neighbors, but late at night it's like a fire alarm going off. ALL those commercials really suck. And they all seem aimed at the same goober market. You'd think nobody over 25 ever bought a car.

Next t.v. I buy, I definitely need one of those automatic-sound leveler thingies so the commercials don't send me diving for the remote just to be able to sit through them.

BottlesOf
11-15-2004, 01:43 AM
There was some link on his site (to an independant third party) that showed his siet gets more traffic than all but like 125 or so sites on the net. I'd say that makes him famous.

astroglide
11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
SOME...2...3...14! (yes, he actually says that in spanish)

HELLO HELLO
HOLA
I'M AT A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO
IT'S EVERYTHING I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW
EXCEPT YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING
I CAN FEEEEEEEEL
I CAN FEEEEE-EEEE-EEEL

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

billyjex
11-15-2004, 02:19 AM
I'm sure he likes high-impact gyrations. In his butt.

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 02:20 AM
U2's transistion from conscientious pop rock with a meaning to euro trash pop rock is one of the saddest stories of the past 20 years.

Daliman
11-15-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, not quite played enough.

It's a Mastercard commercial....

Bulldog
11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, you have to love the guy singing "Queen of Hearts", and not just because this is a poker forum!

Bulldog
11-15-2004, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Producing a TV commercial....$25,000

Weekly advertising budget....$500,000

Getting someone to actually recognize your product or service from your commercial....PRICELESS!

Lazymeatball
11-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I hate those Miller commercials where the referee interupts and penalizes people doing regular stuff. It's just such a hacky bit, and executed poorly. The whole idea of referee's doing non official things is spent and lame.

Aces McGee
11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
The 2...3...14 thing drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS.

None of my friends get it when I go crazy when I hear that song.

Astroglide, you're the only one who understands me.

-McGee

BeerMoney
11-15-2004, 10:09 AM
BowFlex.........

I like Geico Commercials. In particular the Soap Opera one."I saved, I thought that meant something to you.."

TheRake
11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
I can't remember the cell phone company, but they are advertising thier "great" calling plan. The guy's cell phone in the commercial keeps ringing everytime he starts to explain the plan. He calls it his "I gotta take this plan"

How f'ing annoying is this guy?? Though I know it is kinda the point of the commercial I can't help thinking turn off your stupid phone long enough to do the commercial you a$$hole.

TheRake

namknils
11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm with you Astro, I hate that song and therefore the commercial which seems to be on every chanel during every break. ugh

jakethebake
11-15-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll go with the new commercial with Jessica Simpson talking about her acne problem. Which just barely beats the commercial with Kelly Ripa talking about her hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything with Jessica Simpson is o.k. with me.

jakethebake
11-15-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, you have to love the guy singing "Queen of Hearts", and not just because this is a poker forum!

[/ QUOTE ]
I love that commercial. It's actually the only one that makes me laugh out loud right now.

jakethebake
11-15-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Political Commercials. Thank god the election is over.Melch

[/ QUOTE ]
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. If I heard, "I approved this commercial" one more time I was gonna do something that would've had the Secret Service after me. (Not really so no one call them.) And here in Florida, THE swing state, it was probbaly even worse than most other places.

jakethebake
11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Worst...

1. Political ads. Thank god they're gone.

2. Anything with that awful brain-scrambling hip-hop music. And why do they have to turn the volume up for the commercials? Thank god for the mute button.

Dominic
11-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Any commercial with that Snuggle Bear in it makes me want to punch the TV.

Also, any McDonald's commercial that attempts to be emotionally manipulative. Or ay thing even resembling "I'm Lovin' It."
Stupid Ass campaign.

Dominic
11-15-2004, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting someone to actually recognize your product or service from your commercial....PRICELESS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....not to nitpick, but one of those Mastercard commercials would cost anywhere from $750,000 to $2,000,000 to produce, and a weekly national advertising campaign on television alone would also be in the millions.

Bulldog
11-15-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....not to nitpick, but one of those Mastercard commercials would cost anywhere from $750,000 to $2,000,000 to produce, and a weekly national advertising campaign on television alone would also be in the millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to correct me, at least be right! While I obviously was making a joke, if you are going to revoke my poetic license, you should hire a fact-checker. Although my $25,000 figure was wrong, your $750,000-$2 million was off as well. This link (http://www.psaresearch.com/newnewsletter/goodwillnov02.asp) says $358,000 (three years ago, but it's not likely that the average has more than doubled in three years).

And, don't write "not to nitpick," then nitpick for the entirety of the post.

Shilly
11-15-2004, 03:02 PM
The commercial for Charter Communications internet service with virus protection.

"Who's Nabooku?" Nooooahhhhh!

NoTalent
11-15-2004, 03:14 PM
The most annoying one to me is the crest "brushups" one. Its a stupid thing you put on your finger and brush your teeth with? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

they are dancing around, Bush-UPs! Ahhhhhhh Brush-Ups, Ahhhhh.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Blarg
11-15-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He calls it his "I gotta take this plan"

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell asked you? is what I'm wondering when I see that commercials or ones that depend on the same schtick.

I can't stand those too-hip guys who try to take you into their too-hip confidence and tell you about their too-cool world -- as if you had ever heard of them or could possibly give a damn if you had about either them or whatever stupid crap they have to say.

The advertising agencies are full of 40 and 50-year-old yuppie-type sleazebags in suits trying to patronizingly cram what their lame idea of cool is down everyone's throat as if we should thank them for the privilege instead of being creeped out. These guys need to be put out to pasture, not hang around their kids' friends trying to figure out how to be "with it" with Generation X, Y, Z, and whatever stupid labels they can come up with.

Don't call me, I'll call you. How about never? Is never good for you?

jstnrgrs
11-16-2004, 04:37 AM
I must agree with this. That song drives me nuts.

GuyOnTilt
11-16-2004, 04:55 AM
That song/commercial drives me insane. The song just sucks. But the media-driven masses have kept it in the top 5 most d/l'd daily songs on iTunes for the past couple weeks now. It's #2 today. Bleh.

GoT

Talk2BigSteve
11-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Brush Ups ads are pretty bad, but the one that takes the cake for me is the "Burger King Wake Up With The King" commercials. Thoses really freak me out.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Danenania
11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Local car dealership commercials suck.

LondonBroil
11-19-2004, 03:35 AM
I haven't seen it on in awhile, but late at night there'd be a commercial for some truck (I think Nissan) where the truck would be attempting to do a long jump in which it fails miserably. The announcer guy starts screaming "NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONO!" at 5 billion decibels louder than what the rest of the commercial is played at. I thought it was amusing but my fiance would wake up and yell at me to turn the tv down.

After 5 or 6 times I would think ahead and turn the volume down just before the part.

plaster8
11-19-2004, 06:40 AM
I'd vote for the Tom Emanski baseball instruction videos you always see on ESPN (the one with Fred McGriff and the "back-to-back-to-back AAU national champions") and the Hit-Away with Reggie Jackson.

There was one I saw a year ago or so, though, that takes the "Just how stupid do you think we are?" question to a new level. It was for Keebler's cookies, and the little animated elves are running around doing their thing. The cookies had a chocolate coating, and it showed these cookie bars swirling around -- under their own power -- in a big vat of chocolate. We all know that cookies cannot move around on their own, right? Well, if you didn't know that, the Keebler folks were good enough to put text at the bottom of the screen saying "Dramitization." As if we couldn't figure out that the cookies don't coat themselves in chocolate.

But there's no "Dramitzation" tag when the eleves are on the screen. So I think they're for real.

(Sorry. This was a long rant. But that really bugged me for some reason.)

JustSomeJackass
11-19-2004, 04:41 PM
The dumbest commercial I have seen by far is for Pepto Bismol...where they list the symptoms it is good for and all the people are doing a dance like the macarena, simulating these symptoms...nausea, heartburn, upset stomac, diarrhea, wow pepto bismol...or something like that...embarrassing

another one that gets old fast is the guy ordering the Zesty chicken Border bowl or almost ordering it..to piss off the workers who won't start to make it until he orders it...a ZESTY CHICK---EN. Dumb.

tolbiny
11-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Vote for:
1800-Call ATT comercials with Carrot TOp

For annoyability and Duration.

He's number 1 on my list of people to kill if i am ever criminally insane.

Popinjay
11-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Irritating-
The series of people acting like automated phone systems. Plus they use ugly people which just adds to the crappiness of those commercials.

Stupid-
"Hi, I am a 50 year old grandmother and I've got a bowflex body!" - 20 something female actress with nice tits, firm body, good ass, pretty hot overall. HOW DUMB DO YOU THINK WE ARE? YOU ARE NOT A 50 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER!

JustSomeJackass
11-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Another commercial with this is for the Wagner Power paint sprayer. They show this dude holding it in front of his house and he waves his arm back and forth and the whole house is painted. It says "dramatization" at the bottom of the screen...as if some idiot would be sitting at home saying "Goddamn did you see that?!?!?! He painted his house in 3 seconds!! I gotta get me one of those things."

2planka
11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
haven't made it though all the posts, but here in New England we have to suffer through Giant Glass commercials.

This increadibly squeaky woman shouts "NEW ENGLAND IS..." and grown men, women, and nuns proceed to sing
"Who do you call when your wind-shield's busted?
Call Giant Glass
One eight hundred fifty-four giant
Done right done fast
Wherever you are, call number
One eight hundred fifty-four giant..."

It's is so irritating. I'm off to smother baby kittens now.