PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NL from limit - need some help.

Akimka
11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
First of:

Is I correctly got NL holdem idea? Play only pairs, raise with top pairs, reraise with AA,KK only. Raise with AKs/o, AQ is very troublesome hand. Other hands are crap.
Play flop-oriented hands (i.e. pocket pairs to catch trips of fold)
I found pair of post here about it and i figured out it so simple... Well now I must to forefeit all my skills from limit poker and just play fit-or-fold game?
But there is problems about how much to bet in different position? Is there any good internet FAQ or book about NL poker? I have about 80K hands of limit poker and it's look like NL is completely different game? I'm totally messed up - if all is so simple why not everybody plays that super-tight style? Why there lot of VPIP>20 players? All that profit comes from players that plays NL like limit?

And there pair of hands for your consideration (NL $25 party):

Hand #1: I am on BB with AA, MP3 and button calls, i raise $7.50 (to $8) everybody folded.

Hand #2:
I am on BB with JJ, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, button calls, i raise $3.50 (up to $4), button calls, flop comes KT6 rainbow, i bet $4 (with intention to fold to raise), button fold.

Hand #3
I am UTG+2 with KcKs, i raise $4, CO calls, flop comes Td8c4s rainbow, i bet $6, CO calls, TURN 3d falls, i bet $10, CO folded.

Thank you for help and hello to you, all NL-ers!

bholdr
11-14-2004, 06:19 PM
there are a lot of internet resources on no limit, but you've already found the best one. read these archives like crazy.

also, you said:
"Play only pairs, raise with top pairs, reraise with AA,KK only. Raise with AKs/o, AQ is very troublesome hand. Other hands are crap"

don't play only pairs, you'll never get enough of them to profit. AQ is trouble, but so are AJ AT KQ KJ KT QJ T9 (and some others).

Some of the best hands in NL (and i think this is the biggest difference from limit, in terms of hand selection) are hands like 87s 45s 68s etc (shocking to a limit player, huh?). These are the hands that you want to play against raises, and these will make you the most money (other than, of course, the big three AA AK KK).

when you raise, raise the pot. raise or get off the pot. rarely call. be the one who's betting. tight-aggressive is how you win.

oh yeah, position is EVERYTHING.

this is all pretty basic stuff, and not meant to be a strategy, but rather an attempt to point out some of the major differences one should be aware of when moving to NL.
i personally can't stand limit, even though i seem to wim a bit at the lower levels (up to 2-4). now i play small buy-in NL (up to 50$) and win a bit more. I'm comfortable at 100 and 200 Nl, but my bankroll isn't (stupid phone bill).

greg nice
11-14-2004, 06:44 PM
its much more complicated than that.

1. you raised too much. who in their right mind is gonna call 16xBB raises?

2. fine

3. fine

Biff M.
11-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey Greg,

Don't you think 8x BB is too steep, as well, especially with jacks? Kings are a good raising hand, but even here I think 8x is a bit much. You don't want a multi pot, but you're not after the blinds. Am I totally off here?

greg nice
11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
you are right. i missed that. all of those hands are raised too much preflop.

SwordFish
11-15-2004, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think 8x BB is too steep, as well, especially with jacks? Kings are a good raising hand, but even here I think 8x is a bit much

[/ QUOTE ]

Biff -

Hand #2 - 8x the BB with 3 limpers in front is not unreasonable

Hand #3 - Open raising 8x may be a bit steep depending on how the table is playing

The real problem here is that the Poster is varying the size of his raises based on the strength of his hand:
(JJ = $3.5)
(KK = $4)
(AA = $8)

You seem to be agreeing with this strategy by implying that it is OK to raise big with KK but you should not do it with JJ.

If you have a hand you want to raise with preflop, the size of the raise should be determined by the action in front of you and your position in the hand.

If you routinely change the size of your raise based on what you hold, you are giving away the strength of your hand. Other players will notice this and take advantage.

SF

jomatty
11-15-2004, 09:55 AM
a good place to start with for raises is 3-5 x the BB. If their are a lot of limpers or you are in the blinds then you can raise a little more but the raises you made were to large pf. in the party games the low buy in to blind ratio does make a fairly tight approach better but not so cut and dried as you put it. The big problems with Aq are not nearly as much of a factor in a game like the low limit party games. many people with stack off with a lesser ace and the downside isnt nearly as bad as in a deep stacked game where if you get action in a big pott you are probably beaten or dominated. Pay close attention to your opponents stack sizesand that will opten show you the correct line to make on a given hand.
gl
matty