PDA

View Full Version : A set vs. straight/flush draws on the board: 3/6 PP

mxyzptlk
11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Here is another hand with a flopped set against a dangerous board. Unfortunately, I was a little out of position. I feel like my play on the turn was a little weak -- should I have check-raised or bet it out instead of check-calling?

Results later.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (11.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.16 BB, between CO, Button and Hero.</font>

Rah
11-14-2004, 03:18 PM
What's the point in betting out or check-raising? Any straight will raise you, and no hand worse than yours will call. If you decide to take this one to the river a check-call is the best option.

Evan
11-14-2004, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no hand worse than yours will call

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just not true. You don't think that 8's, J's, draws and even 7's will call the turn?

easypete
11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the point in betting out or check-raising? Any straight will raise you, and no hand worse than yours will call. If you decide to take this one to the river a check-call is the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... maybe because you may be ahead. And yes... a pair will call you.... and straight draws will call too.

I play it about the same. The river sucks, but just may have given someone a pair or 2-pr. You will win enough to make the river call worth it.

mxyzptlk
11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I would bet or CR the turn because the turn card is essentially a blank (in relation to my hand). I guess I can't really drive anyone out with a bet since flush draws and inside straight draws are getting odds to call.

nothumb
11-14-2004, 03:43 PM
I would cap the flop and lead the turn. If you're going to check the turn, I would raise a late-position bet hoping to knock people out. Your play wasn't a little weak. It was a lot weak. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But it's a common mistake on a board like this.

NT

mxyzptlk
11-14-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap the flop and lead the turn. If you're going to check the turn, I would raise a late-position bet hoping to knock people out. Your play wasn't a little weak. It was a lot weak. But it's a common mistake on a board like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is capping the flop for value? It's only three handed on the flop. I don't think I can knock out the CO (who raised the flop) with a cap.

But in hindsight, you're right, I think I should have lead the turn.

tripdad
11-14-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap the flop and lead the turn. If you're going to check the turn, I would raise a late-position bet hoping to knock people out. Your play wasn't a little weak. It was a lot weak. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But it's a common mistake on a board like this.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. with the preflop action, it is hard to imagine anyone having a better hand here. most likely is a smaller set/overpair. i'm not worried much about a straight, and i'm going to charge the maximum possible for any flush draws, knowing there is no way i can protect against it.

cheers!