PDA

View Full Version : Run from this Big Slick?

Bigdaddydvo
11-14-2004, 12:44 PM
A few orbits into a Party ten dollar Sit N Go w/blinds 10/15, so most players are at T800 plus or minus 50 chips. Dvo is button w/A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

2 limpers, CO raises to T75, Dvo calls, blinds and limpers fold.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Looks like a decent flop for me. CO bets T150, Dvo calls

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

CO checks, Dvo bets 300, CO CR's all in (I only have a little over 200 chips left here).

What do all think of:

a) the PF call
b) the smooth call on the flop
c) the turn bet

I called his check raise. Will post results later.

pshreck
11-14-2004, 12:51 PM
a) I like to come over the top here, but your play is fine, depends on how you like to play it.

b) This is bad. Reraise, most likely for all your chips. If he has a hand better than AK, he is most likely going to slow play it. What is your reasoning for just calling? It is a large pot, you appear to have the best hand at the moment, why do you not want to pick it up right there?

c) The turn bet is fine, the call is fine. You very well may have let him catch up by hitting two pair, but you can't get away from this.

Your main mistake was the smooth call on the flop. You didn't hit trips or a straight.... so you are letting people draw to better hands, not second best hands.

A J Carisse
11-14-2004, 01:08 PM
I agree. Why wouldn't you raise on the flop? At least go to 300. I wouldn't necessarily go all in here - the risk of him hitting his 2nd card isn't significant, although that indeed may have been what happened. This would be more a move to get more of his chips if you win.

You're pretty much committed to calling his raise at the turn, although it doesn't look good /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hopefully all he has is a pair of jacks though, although I'm guessing KJ. Hope for an ace on the river /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.J.

Bigdaddydvo
11-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Due to the absense of draws, I chose to smooth call the flop, hoping the villian would fire another bullet for me to push on the turn. As it turned out, villian had K /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif to make 2 pair. No help on the river and I'm out.

Ogre
11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
the flop had no draws, perfect hand to slow play
he caught his 3 outer and you were already to pot commited There was nothing you could have done to move him off of his kings

OGRE

pshreck
11-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Read any poker book, and it tells you not to slowplay a hand when the pot is already large, and when you don't have a premium hand. This is a great example of letting a guy draw to a premium hand when you don't have the goods to beat it.

This is such a bad place to slowplay... this guy is most likely gonna call on the flop anyways... but what if an ace hits the turn... then you lose chips.

texasrattlers
11-14-2004, 07:09 PM
I always re-raise on the flop here, hoping mainly to win the sizable pot right now, but also have good odds to win a larger pot should he decide to call. I like to slow play hands where I am a BIG favorite and I am reasonably sure my opponent is drawing dead or nearly so. Not when all I have is TPTK. So I think capturing a decent pot right on the flop is the best play here.

Just the way I currently see things.

adanthar
11-14-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always re-raise on the flop here, hoping mainly to win the sizable pot right now, but also have good odds to win a larger pot should he decide to call. I like to slow play hands where I am a BIG favorite and I am reasonably sure my opponent is drawing dead or nearly so. Not when all I have is TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's TPTK on a K72r flop. Yeah, you can get QQ and (arguably) KJ/Kx to fold if you raise all in, but do you really want to?

It's a different story if you have KT and don't want a loosie's A7 to stick around or think you can get KJ to fold, if the flop is K87 two tone, etc. But with AK on K72, the worst that happens is that he hits a 3 outer or that he hits a flush draw on the turn and puts in the rest of his chips as a 4:1 dog.

Would your reply be any different if he posted that his opponent had JJ?

texasrattlers
11-14-2004, 07:55 PM
After re-reading the initial post, I think I would still go all-in on the flop, but probably hoping for a call just as much as winning the pot right there. With his opponent's betting pattern, he is probably going to call the all in, and I think I can put him on QQ or KQ or something like that. Though I would be worried about AA or KK, there is no way I fold AK here.

stripsqueez
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
i think slow playing this flop is ok - i probably raise but its a bit close

there is no obvious draw and i like to let him fire another shot with crap which many will do - ie chooks often over commit to an early pot and then desperation bluff - i think its very unlikely you cost yourself any chips on this particular hand by not raising the flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk