PDA

View Full Version : Borgata 1/2 three hands

Bulldog
11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
A day of fun at the Borgata, 1/2 NLHE. Here are three hands I'd like some feedback on. Er, rather, one ridiculous hand, and two for feedback.

I was up about $120 but playing with $300 because I jumped to juicier game one table over. The hand that really pushed me in the right direction: I have 99 and make it $12 to go from UTG+1. Five to the flop of 985r. I bet out $25 and get called by one guy, newish to the table, I've got him pegged as a poor player. Turn is an ace completing the rainbow. I thought there was a chance he had TT or JJ, but I don't think the ace could put him ahead of me. I decided to hope the ace helped him a little, like AK, so I checked. He bet out $25. I raised to $75 and he pushed, raising another $148. I took about 20 seconds to convince myself there is no way he could have 76 or AA, and called. River was a jack, I turned over my hand, and he flipped over Q8o.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now that you've let that sink in, my man pulls out another $300 while looking at the board and the pot being pushed my way and says, "I just needed a ten." Yep, he was lamenting the gutshot straight draw he picked up on the river.

(Yes, Bunky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1256492&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1), we all see why you love the Borgata 1/2. I share your feelings. /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Now that I've got a competitive stack, I could open up my game. I'm in the BB with KQo. One limper and the SB completes so I check. Big $6 pot. Flop is QJT. SB checks and I bet out $15. The limper folds and the SB raises to $50. He's been on a bad run and as he raises he says, "don't call, I promise, I'll show you my cards." Of course he didn't show, but I was guessing 98 at this point, for the low end of the straight. I wasn't sure but I decided to gamble and called the $35. Turn was an ace, giving me the nut straight, he checked to me and I pushed, putting him all in for just under $200. He agonized for 45 seconds or so then called, flipping his aces and begging for the board to pair. River didn't pair the board and MHIG.

My friends at the 2/4 game are just about done, so I've racked up and am playing around to the blinds. Of course my standards have loosened up for that last hand dealt to me (a terrible stupid weakness that I've probably been now cured of) and I look at A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG. I open for $7 and a new tight aggressive player with wraparounds makes it $15. One cold caller and I call as well. (Biggest mistake of the day, IMHO.) Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Crap. I'm trapped in this hand. Worst thing is I knew it but couldn't talk myself into letting it go. I checked and Wraparound bets $35. One fold and I'm facing a $35 bet into a $45 pot. I call (second worst play?) and turn is a blank, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif? I check again, practically announcing that I'm on a draw, and he bets $50. Into a $115 pot. Begging me to call, but enough that I could rationally fold. I convinced myself the three other sixes were live outs (of course, they were not) and called. Yep, $100 of my $700 profit pissed away on the last hand that I should've folded preflop. River was a J /images/graemlins/club.gif and I checked again. The jack, filling one of the potential draws that Wraparound could put me on, was sufficiently scary enough for him to check and allow me to see his AQ for free. Please rip me to shreds, although the missing Benjamin in my pocket is probably sufficient to remind me forever to not just play that last hand!

Bulldog
11-14-2004, 07:42 PM
bump

Bulldog
11-15-2004, 08:31 AM
bump 2

Kips Bay Kid
11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I look at A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG. I open for $7 and a new tight aggressive player with wraparounds makes it $15. One cold caller and I call as well. (Biggest mistake of the day, IMHO.)

[/ QUOTE ]
What were stack sizes? Have you played with him before? Sounds like he was new to the table. So you are being asked to call $8 into a $36 pot, I don't think it is that bad, except that you are out of position, you can probably fold this.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Crap. I'm trapped in this hand. Worst thing is I knew it but couldn't talk myself into letting it go. I checked and Wraparound bets $35. One fold and I'm facing a $35 bet into a $45 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is the pot only $45? I guess you don't count his $35 bet, I see it as calling $35 into an $80 pot but maybe my logic is wrong. Doesn't that give you sufficient odds to call? (you need 1.9 and you are getting 2.2 and change)

[ QUOTE ]
I call (second worst play?) and turn is a blank, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif? I check again, practically announcing that I'm on a draw, and he bets $50. Into a $115 pot. Begging me to call, but enough that I could rationally fold. I convinced myself the three other sixes were live outs (of course, they were not) and called.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah fold it here, save yourself half of that benjamin /images/graemlins/grin.gif You need 4.1 and are getting 3.3 - highly doubtful your 6 outs are any good.

jomatty
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
i wouldnt be too hard on yourself for this last hand. If you would have made your flush there is still a resonable chance that he pays off a nice size bet so i dont think any of the calls except possibly the preflop were too bad. He let you take off cards at a palatable price and as long as you dont go broke when a 6 comes off i think you did fine.
matty

Bulldog
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I had $878 to start the hand. He had about $325, relatively new to the table.

You are correct, $80 pot. $45 in there plus the $35 bet.

On the turn, although I was thinking (hoping?) that my sixes were outs, the implied odds (as Jomatty notes) did cross my mind. If I get there, he surely has to call a $50 value bet with $215 already in the pot.

I'm hoping the lack of comments on the AA vs KQ hand means I played that well. Looking back at it I'm still okay with my play, but I hate that I called $35 when I didn't have the best hand. I probably would've reraised back in many spots but his comment slowed me down.

Triple C
11-16-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Crap. I'm trapped in this hand. Worst thing is I knew it but couldn't talk myself into letting it go. I checked and Wraparound bets $35. One fold and I'm facing a $35 bet into a $45 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is the pot only $45? I guess you don't count his $35 bet, I see it as calling $35 into an $80 pot but maybe my logic is wrong. Doesn't that give you sufficient odds to call? (you need 1.9 and you are getting 2.2 and change)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can make this argument and say fold to the turn bet. You're 1:1.9 to make it by the river. Knowing that he's going to bet at least another $35 if any non-diamond hits the turn, you must take your implied odds to be at most $70 to $150. This still makes your flop play good as well as your turn call. As the situation played out, it cost you 85 to see two cards, you were getting 85:150 or 1:1.94. If you make the call on the flop, I think you have committed yourself to make that $50 call on the turn. In addition, he will pay you off if you hit the flush card, so I think you either call both streets or you fold to the flop bet. I think folding the turn is inconsistent with the above reasoning to call the flop. (Unless of course he had bet much bigger on the turn.)