PDA

View Full Version : 54s...played too aggressively?

Harv72b
11-14-2004, 11:34 AM
I had this hand come up on me during a game Friday night, and a couple people at the table weren't too happy with my play here. Did I play this too aggressively, even maniacally?

Empire (Party) Poker 2/4 Hold 'Em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold, MP2 calls, 4 folds, Hero checks.

Pretty straightforward.

Flop:(5.5 SB)T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ( <font color="blue"> 5 players </font>)
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

I think this is pretty straightfoward, too. I picked up the (admittedly low) spade draw, and wanted to start building the pot should that 3rd spade come. I also wanted to find out where I stood; based on the positions of the callers, I would think that anyone with a higher flush draw probably had a much higher flush draw, worth raising with. I wasn't raised, so there was still the possibility of suited connectors above mine, but I wasn't going to worry too much about that. Any comments here?

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ( <font color="blue"> 5 players </font> )
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises, MP2 raises all in ($11), Hero calls, UTG caps, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Obviously, a lot of people liked that A. Now I'm a little worried that MP2 might have Ax spades, but even if so, I can make back some of my money in the side pot. I didn't cap it here because I was now a little concerned that I was drawing to the 2nd flush on this hand, and I didn't want to run the risk of scaring out the other two players (it turns out that worry was unwarranted). With the size of the pot now, I didn't even consider folding. Right? Wrong?

River: (19BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif ( <font color="blue"> 4 players, 1 all in </font> )
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls

I made my flush! I considered going for a check/raise, but with zero chance that someone else made a lower flush than me, I wouldn't have raised a bet to me anyway. When the other two just called, I was sure that I at least had the side pot.

Final Pot: (22 BB)

Results in white below:
<font color="white">
Hero shows 4s, 5s for a flush, ten high.
UTG doesn't show Qs, Kh for a straight, ten to ace.
UTG+2 doesn't show Th, Tc for three of a kind, tens.
MP2 doesn't show Ac, Ks for a pair of aces.
Hero wins $24 from side pot #1 with a flush, ten high.
Hero wins $62 from the main pot with a flush, ten high.
</font>

I'd love to hear any comments/sugggestions/criticisms.

Koller
11-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Check the turn.

Quindle
11-14-2004, 12:22 PM
I'd actually be very tempted to check/call, check/call, check/raise this hand. You're kind of getting equity on your draw if everyone calls, and if all but one drop out you might figure to take it down on on the turn, but the flop's almost guaranteed to have hit someone, being so draw heavy and with limp-friendly cards like the T and J.

I'd struggle to read anything into a raise on the flop, other than perhaps refraining from a checkraise if the flush comes in.

There's no way you should bet into four opponents with almost certainly the fourth best hand when the ace hits on the turn. Check/call, representing a weak J and setting yourself up for check/raise on the river. Unfortunately it would come back to you as 2, possibly 3 bets and I'd give it up at that stage.

Given the way the hand went, I think the river bet is good. Combined danger of a check-through (particularly given the all-in player) and re-raise rule out going for the check/raise here, while the size of the pot ensures the crying calls that you were looking for and duly picked up.

So although I'd have played it differently, I also wouldn't have picked up the pot.

All three of your opponents HIDEOUSLY misplayed their hands. Free plays with 54s against those kind of hands are a godsend - I hope you stuck around the table, must have been a very good session.

Harv72b
11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All three of your opponents HIDEOUSLY misplayed their hands. Free plays with 54s against those kind of hands are a godsend - I hope you stuck around the table, must have been a very good session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, and it was. /images/graemlins/cool.gif