PDA

View Full Version : Correct to call SH?

05-29-2002, 11:03 AM
When I play 3-4 players I never Call from any position except SB. I Always raise from Button or UTG when I´m a playing a hand (Preflop). Is that correct or is it wise to call with some hands?

I play quite aggressive/loose. Maybe too loose, but when shall I just call preflop???

Stakes dont matter

05-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Take a look at the post "Question for the experts" in the General Theory section posted on the 24th which is dealing with pretty much this same question.

05-30-2002, 07:12 PM
You never call from the BB either?

When it gets to 5-handed I will rarely make a call UTG.

06-14-2002, 02:01 PM
The ONLY time you should call is if you are setting a trap, or in the BB. I muck about 90% of my hands in the SB because you need to flop a huge hand to make it worth betting out (of course checking and calling is not an option at that point). A common situation- someone calls a raise in the SB with A3offsuit. The flop comes A-rag-rag, the SB bets out, a raise, and a cold call. How do you feel about your hand here? But, thank god, most online short handed players are sucked in to the river. Just dont get involved from the beginning.

In a short game you should ONLY raise or fold. Of course there are exceptions, such as you have top set and an earlier position player reraised you on the turn and a caller in between... the danger of a boat is high so you are justified to call.

As far as playing too loose... that is the weakness in short games, especially online. I prey on these players. Obviously you have to adjust your opening play. But limit it to this- ONLY get involved in hands that you would play in a ring game... I love seeing someone call a raise before the flop with something like K7offsuit. Take a look at the famous Sklansky hand rankings and stick to those, re-adjusting for short handed.

The only exception would be to play Ax offsuit if no one has entered the pot before you. Most players loosen up too much, and play every hand possible with no regard to position (which is even more important short handed).

06-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Are you the same pp willyg? You have nice comments and a wealth of information. Thanks for posting!

06-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Yea.... thats me. I assume you mean paradise? or Planet? or Party? /images/smile.gif) Im on all of them.

-Bill

willyg19@aol.com