PDA

View Full Version : 42s in the BB...I make a little flush...

thirddan
11-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Party 3/6 10 handed

Hero is BB with 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Button is a total rock (VPIP 8.5, PFR 0, 40 hands)
SB just sat down last hand and i don't know him

Preflop: MP limps, CO-1 limps, Button limps, SB completes, Hero checks...

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5 players, 5 SB)
SB bets, Hero calls, MP folds, CO-1 folds, Button raises, SB calls, Hero calls...

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif ( 3 players, 5.5 BB)
SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets, SB Raises, Hero ????

What do you think of my flop play and what should i do now?

Nick C
11-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Since Button is a total rock (and you have to worry about SB's turn check-raise too), I guess you should probably fold.

For what it's worth, I think I'd bet the turn once SB checked to me.

SCfuji
11-14-2004, 07:10 AM
a rock? fold.

Shillx
11-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Flop looks good. I would bet the turn.
If the button is a rock (very passive postflop) I can't imagine him raising for a free card here. I also don't see him having a 6. It is possible that he has a monster.
What button holding do you beat right now...I can't think of any. After thinking about it for a long time I would say fold. In the heat of the battle I probably would have 3-bet and hoped I scared the button into taking a free showdown.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif as always,
Brad

thirddan
11-14-2004, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the heat of the battle I probably would have 3-bet and hoped I scared the button into taking a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think your hand is good enough to 3bet the turn then i think you should bet the river if a blank comes off...

Shillx
11-14-2004, 07:29 AM
To clarify, I might be totally off base here it is getting late...

If the hero 3-bets and both the rock and SB call, the hero has to be worried that he is behind the rock. If a blank hits on the end I think that the rock will check behind with a lot of hands that beat the hero (like a non-nut flush), fearing that he might be beat or that someone will c/r him again. I might be totally wrong in this assumption, and maybe my definition of rock is too rigid. And if the rock bets when I check to him, the hand is over for me as there is nothing that I can beat here.

Brad

thirddan
11-14-2004, 07:31 AM
so you are gonna 3bet the turn and then check/fold the river?

thirddan
11-14-2004, 07:35 AM
I folded to SB's check/raise and so did the button...SB wins without showdown...

Alobar
11-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Don't cement yourself to a read based on 40 hands.

Bob T.
11-14-2004, 12:53 PM
What do you think of my flop play and what should i do now?

I would have played it the same way on the flop.

The turn is tougher, you have about the 53rd nuts, and your hand could be good and your opponents should be drawing live, but if you are behind, you don't have any outs. If you call, and it doesn't get raised behind you, I think you can call the river, and hope for an overcall. If you decide to raise, which is what I probably would do, I think raising with the intention of putting only one more bet in the pot might be right. If anyone folds, your chances of winning the pot have gone up, and it is limit poker, you are only going to lose a couple more big bets anyway, but you might win a big pot.

I think that this is a tough situation, and it will be interesting to see how others play it, and how it turns out.

thirddan
11-14-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't cement yourself to a read based on 40 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but its all i had /images/graemlins/frown.gif

thirddan
11-14-2004, 07:58 PM
so you would coldcall the turn and fold if its 3bet? and if it isn't raised again then check/call the river?

bisonbison
11-14-2004, 07:59 PM
what you know about button is that he is tight preflop. That's a conditional read. I'm sure I've gone four orbits with those stats.

I would call.

thirddan
11-14-2004, 08:01 PM
he was TP-P, i figured people would assume passive after the flop by the rock description...i know 40 hands is nothing, but its all i had to go on at the time...

you would colcall the turn and then check/call the river?

Shillx
11-14-2004, 08:05 PM
This hand would have been much more straight forward had you bet the turn IMO. If the button raises then you fold, and if the button folds and the SB check/raises then you call down. If the button calls and SB check/raises then you fold.

Brad

bisonbison
11-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I know, what I'm saying is: tightness is easier to establish than aggression.

A tight player is almost never 50% loose over even 40 hands, but a 2+2er might (among his 8 playable hands) find nothing to raise.