PDA

View Full Version : question for all great shorthanded players

05-13-2002, 03:39 AM
Ok, I play sometimes in a shorthanded game, with very loose players, do you think it is best to just always call before the flop unless you really need to raise such as with AA, or KK, QQ, and all the high pairs and AK, or should you just as well call with those. The way I figure is this, If i raise before the flop with AJ suited, I am sure to get at least 2 callers in a 4 person game, now let's say the flop doesn't come up with an Ace, then it's easy for the to bluff me out of the pot, or for the pot to at least have helped them. I think by just calling with AJ or AQ or AK, if the Ace does flop and you are lucky enough for them to be holding the lone ace against you, you can make much more money than by raising, and them folding if the flop misses them, or raising and if the flop misses you, then you can be called down with anything and find yourself bluffing all the way.

What do you guys think of this strategy?

05-13-2002, 05:15 AM
It will not work. Just raise. Your logic is that of a scared player.

05-16-2002, 05:30 PM
When I first started playing, I basically played that way, wanting people in when I two good cards. However, your two cards play much better against a smaller # of players. When you get into a 5 person pot, it becomes more of a game of draws where straights and flushes become the more likely winner.

When you are playing AK, AQ, etc, you don't want a draw game. So your raise pushes out those that could get a lucky flop and gets more money in their from people that you are still ahead of, but you can dominate.

Plus those people you drive out will probably fold if they don't hit their flop, so they don't add much value anyway..make them pay to play.

05-20-2002, 08:12 PM
You shouldn't stop raising, raising preflop adds profit to your bankroll, but offcourse not only should you be raising with AJ but sometimes even with 55 or 78 or J10 or 98 vary your play especially in shorthanded games otherwise they will run over you.

-Mj

05-28-2002, 07:28 PM
This is how "not great" I am as a shorthanded player: I can't even spot the question in your post....

06-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Of course you raise. Shorthanded is a game of momentum. You can be *almost* positive you have the best hand preflop. So take the lead. If someone has better they will let you know... and not necessarily by raising or betting the flop.

If the flop doesnt help you and it helps them, then they will check raise you and you throw it away. Get your balls out there... raise preflop and bet the flop all the time. The momentum is yours until it is taken away.

If you get a CALLER, and the turn still doesnt help you, check the turn through, get a free card.... but this can vary depending on the style of your opponents.