PDA

View Full Version : lifted melodies?

astroglide
11-13-2004, 08:02 PM
anybody else notice when people use the exact same melodies from others hits in hit songs? i run into it a lot but i think bush is a great example of it because of how recently they borrow:

come down: bass line (main part of the song) is the exact same as bon jovi's "you give love a bad name"

glycerine: 4-note main melody is from green day's "when i come around" is the main melody of the song

everything zen: the end of the song where he's saying "zen...zen...i don't think so" is the same melody at the end of david bowie's suffragette city.

machinehead: this one is a rip too but i can't remember what, i only know bush songs from radio.

anybody have some notable observations of their own?

Duke
11-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought they called that "sampling."

~D

Daliman
11-13-2004, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anybody else notice when people use the exact same melodies from others hits in hit songs? i run into it a lot but i think bush is a great example of it because of how recently they borrow:

come down: bass line (main part of the song) is the exact same as bon jovi's "you give love a bad name"

glycerine: 4-note main melody is from green day's "when i come around" is the main melody of the song

everything zen: the end of the song where he's saying "zen...zen...i don't think so" is the same melody at the end of david bowie's suffragette city.

machinehead: this one is a rip too but i can't remember what, i only know bush songs from radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, put the Sixteen stone CD down and back AWAY from the bong...

eric5148
11-13-2004, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an observation: don't listen to that crap in the first place.

astroglide
11-14-2004, 03:55 AM
read the post jackasses: i only know bush songs from radio

Ed Miller
11-14-2004, 04:00 AM

Bush sucks.

astroglide
11-14-2004, 04:06 AM
talk to daliman, he's the one that knows their cds. i don't need to defend myself on this one and you're all missing the point of the post. i figured with the musicians in the "genius" thread somebody would have some other notorious bands to point out.

Ed Miller
11-14-2004, 04:18 AM
i don't need to defend myself on this one and you're all missing the point of the post.

I wasn't ragging on you. Just saying that Bush sucks, and one reason why is that they are absurdly derivative.

Vanilla Ice swiped the opening from a David Bowie song for Ice Ice Baby.

astroglide
11-14-2004, 04:19 AM
"under pressure" was queen's too.

no general bush comments, no sampling comments. ok everybody? i almost added that to my original post and now i wish i had.

Enon
11-14-2004, 04:30 AM
There is this one Rage Against The Machine song with this 3 note guitar riff that is almost an exact ripoff of a Stooges song from their album Fun House.

Wish I could be more specific.

Dantes
11-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Radio sucks.

nothumb
11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
The new Jay-Z song has yet another line lifted from Biggie's "Everyday Struggle." The guy just can't stop biting Big. It's sad, really.

NT

Lazymeatball
11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
a lot of blues and jazz songs follow along on the same basic tune. not sure if it's a rhtyhm or a melody as I'm not that into music theory, but it seems to be accepted practice.

mikech
11-14-2004, 06:08 PM
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" borrows its guitar riff from "More Than A Feeling."

astroglide
11-14-2004, 08:25 PM
yeah but they're more half steps and the 3rd/4th are flipped right? i think they're far enough apparent to be different.

Schneids
11-14-2004, 09:28 PM
The most notable one ever /images/graemlins/laugh.gif:

Westside Connection "The Gangsta, The Killer, and The Dope Dealer," lifted from Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt."

tek
11-14-2004, 10:52 PM
The grandaddy of all is My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine.

astroglide
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
lifting, not sampling. sampling is a direct, exact copy from the actual source material. lifting/copying is using the same melody. bush didn't actually play a recording of green day or whatever on their songs, they just used the same notes in the same order on their own instruments.

Schneids
11-15-2004, 01:05 AM
was that meant for Duke?

NeverFold
11-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm not giving enough information here, but I recently heard a song on the radio that had the exact riff from Metallica's Sad But True. That's just not right.

astroglide
11-15-2004, 02:16 AM
again, that's a SAMPLE. kid rock.