PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to play my 1st real money SnG tourny, how to prepare?

1C5
11-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi,
new to poker, played for a month with play money just to get used to the setup on Party Poker,now know the basics and want to start playing with real money soon.

I like the idea of the SnG tournys more than the ring games though so this is what I would like to play. Just wondering how I should prepare. Which books could you suggest and I assume the strategy guide on this forum would be a good starting point.
Anything else I should know that could help me? Pokertracker? Is it useful in SnG tournys?
I plan to play the 10+1 as the rake is too big in the 5+1. Initial bankroll?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to improving and not losing too much money at first. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Irieguy
11-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Search for and read AleoMagus' guide.
Read the FAQ post on this forum.
Read everything that Lorida says about $11 SNGs.

In your circumstances, bankroll considerations are not really relavent. Just play, learn, and get better. Re-buy when you need to if you can. Once you feel you are beating the $11 SNGs (after 300 or so with an ITM% above 40%), you can start figuring out bankroll requirements that will allow you to move up, or set a fixed bankroll above which you can cash out periodically.

My opinion is that pokertracker is of no value for SNGs. Others I'm sure will disagree. I think you need a spreadsheet to keep track of your ITM, ROI and respective finishes, and a notebook to record the hands with which you are putting more than 25% of your stack at risk. (so that you can review the HHs and post them.)

Good luck and have fun.

Irieguy