PDA

View Full Version : Typical steal raise ugly spot #1

DrGutshot
11-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Typical situation:
You are on the button with A8o, you open raise, only BB calls.

BB is loose and pretty dumb, not overly aggressive, but not a total calling station. In other words, your standard no-great read party player.

Flop comes J54 with 2 hearts, he bets into you. your action?

-DrG

Trix
11-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I fold, but that may mean that he can bet anytwo into me on that flop when I open from the button.

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I posted a similar hand today, although there was not a flush draw on the flop. Balkii posted that often in these situations calling the flop, raising the turn is the best defense against the semi-bluff. Raising the flop doesn't really do much, since he'll call with just about any two. Raising the turn not only allows you to blow the player off hands that still are drawing fairly live (6 outs), but often will lead him to check the river even when he makes his draw, thinking you have a better hand than you actually do.

I have never liked folding the flop in these spots, but it is correct to do so more often than I do. My thought has always been whan Trix alluded to, which is that me folding often in these spots will result in them betting the flop with any two.