PDA

View Full Version : An ace against the BB

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Opponent had been at the table a short while, but appeared loose aggressive.

Party 10/20 5 handed

I openraise A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the CO, BB calls.

Flop(4.5 sb): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB bets, I raise, BB calls.

Turn(4.25 bb): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2/images/graemlins/club.gif)
BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

River(6.25 bb): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif (A/images/graemlins/heart.gif)
BB checks, I bet, BB raises, I call.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

balkii
11-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I tend to either call or fold on this flop, i dont like raising because:

he will almost never fold (they will often have at least one overcard and they will chase it). they often chase even with no overcard, just a runner straight draw or something

it will not get you a free card against many players.

it will not effectively stop a bluff against many players

If i play on here, I will tend to call the flop and raise the turn (IMO the most effective defense against the semi-bluff)

often I'll just fold the flop, but as always, thats highly player dependant.

though if you have good control over the player, raising the flop may be best.

anyways, the hand on a whole seems fairly routine. the river bites but I almost always call there.

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 09:04 PM
I think tending towards folding the flop is a good idea for me, I think I may be leaking chips in these situations. But against this player, I think folding the flop regularly would be incorrect. I like calling the flop and raising the turn the best. This will likely blow them off many of their crap hands that still actually have 6 outs, and will usually cause them to check the river even if they hit a strong hand.

This is a tough situation, and I appreciate the great response.

Trix
11-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I had a similar hand today, I just got 3bet on the flop, and then folded my AQ on the turn, whereafter he showed 74s...
I´m pretty sure he wouldn´t have gone over the top on the turn, which supports balki´s line.

I dont think calling and raising the turn is the way to go allways on these as many players, just bet out here with anypair, but I think you will have to do it some of the time.

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I dont think calling and raising the turn is the way to go allways on these as many players, just bet out here with anypair, but I think you will have to do it some of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If each hand happened in a vaccum, I would fold to the flop bet against most opponents every time and feel great about it. But if you regularly fold on the flop after steal raising, it lets halfway perceptive opponents resteal with anything whenever you dont hit the flop.