PDA

View Full Version : playing Headsup at party 5/10, is it worth it?

balkii
11-13-2004, 06:54 PM
put a nice beat on a terrible player today who promptly challenged me to a Headsup match. being the HULA stud I am i accepted. of course the guy hits every flop and river and i'm stuck pretty good, but..

how bad does a player have to be to make playing headsup on party worth it? the rake eats a lot of money up pretty quickly.

is just a bad idea to play headsup against a LAG?

how does the BB being the button change your SB play? i tend to throw away a lot more trash being first to act.

any other thoughts on playing headsup at party are appreciated...

Scotch78
11-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Gonores is the only HUSHer I know who plays a lot of heads-up, but I haven't seen him post here in a while. Might want to PM him.

Scott

Trix
11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Only if he is really Loose, else I think you both will be folding alot in the SB, especially structures with lower than 1/2 SB, so your advantage probably arenīt that great.
If he completes or raises alot, then you can call tons of hands from the BB and play with position most of the time which will give you a great advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
is just a bad idea to play headsup against a LAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think so, just dont play too loose from the SB, but call alot from the BB and play sorta passive-Aggro and let him do his thing..

joker122
11-13-2004, 07:21 PM
i don't think so, the rake is too high.

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
The rake really is too high to beat in the long run unless you are against the worst player ever--this player would probably FOLD too much.

-Michael

lefty rosen
11-14-2004, 04:29 AM
The rake is worst online, they don't give a [censored] about the average player. At that rake you will have to play a tight passive player otherwise you both could chop each other to bits........... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Joe826
11-14-2004, 05:43 AM
i've made alot of money from playing heads-up against loose/passive players at 5/10. not that my sample size is huge, this just usually occurs when the table breaks up and one dude hangs around.

balkii
11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've made alot of money from playing heads-up against loose/passive players at 5/10. not that my sample size is huge, this just usually occurs when the table breaks up and one dude hangs around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the loose-passive player is the only one who could be profitable to play against, for 2 reasons:

- loose passive is obviously the worst playing style there is (although in a headsup match weak/tight is probably better)
- loose passive player will keep the pots small, therefore keeping the rake lower

I think playing against a lag is not gonna be very profitable because

- their playing style becomes sometimes dangerously correct in a headsup match
- they cause big pots which force you to pay more rake.

Joe826
11-14-2004, 03:19 PM
this sounds about right. unfortunately the players who get pissed off and call you out are usually LAGs. sounds like this sort of thing is much more profitable at 10/20.

J.R.
11-14-2004, 05:36 PM
The rake is capped at one buck and is taken out at 20. So the rake is less than 5%, as it doesn't get taken out when you steal the blinds, doesn't get taken out win it on the flop when there is no preflop raise and is less than 5% when there is postflop action, as pots will get over $20. How big is your edge over a bad player?

balkii
11-14-2004, 06:26 PM
So the rake is less than 5%

5% is pretty high rake FYI

11-14-2004, 06:29 PM
It's hard to beat even a game with no rake (when it's heads up), as either one is against a fish that plays it next to perfectly (one can learn this game by observing their style), or vs. someone who knows what he should be doing, though I still prefer playing against those over the fish. Some predictable opponent can be beaten, like some tight passive player who does not adjust. The idea of playing shorthanded is to get better quality hands over one, mostly two fish; a heads up game does not give one that edge.

J.R.
11-14-2004, 07:33 PM
no sh$t, that's why I posted it. But the rake isn't nearly as high as 5%, its more in the 2-3% range. But that is still high, but easily overcome aginst poor (weak-tight) opponents. Against aggressive/tenacious players its tougher. But you can make money playing headsup at 5-10, but its selective, as party is taking soemwhere between 6-10 bbs (60-100 hands get raked) each hour. Against more aggresisve / tencious opponenets, you may see closer to 10-15 BBs get raked each hour.

J.R.
11-14-2004, 07:34 PM
"It's hard to beat even a game with no rake (when it's heads up)"

no its not.