PDA

View Full Version : a marginal hand played from the button

foldem
11-13-2004, 06:18 PM
I think that this is a pretty interesting hand, and Iwould like to get some feedback from the experts on how I played the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($71.4)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($139.6)</font>
SB ($103.55)
BB ($160.95)
UTG ($110.2)
UTG+1 ($69.5)
MP1 ($213)
MP2 ($121.4)
<font color="C00000">MP3 ($249.8)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $2, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($22) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($22) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $60</font>

Obviously the turn and river play are what makes this hand interesting. What do you think of the check on the turn? And what do I do on the river and why? Results and comments to follow. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

amoeba
11-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I like the turn check as if you are an Ace high kicker, then you aren't really scared to give him 1 more card.

why not check behind on the river?

okayplayer
11-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I would check behind on the river.

foldem
11-13-2004, 10:37 PM
I think that checking behind is a pretty good option and I would avoid putting myself in a tough spot. Although I thought checking behind on the river was giving up too much value. So I decided with a half pot bet a lot of second best hands could call (KJ, A10 etc).

After thinking about it until my time bank ran down to only a few seconds left I decided to call this big raise. I didn't think my opponent would check a flush twice as I had checked behind on the turn. The only hand that worried me was Q10 as I ruled out AJ and AK and any flopped set. KK and 99 seemed unlikely.

Anyway my opponent showed 88 with a heart and I dragged a sizeable pot with my aces up.

I thought this was a tough decision. But the fact that my opponent raised it so much made me think he probably did not want a call which also factored into my decision.

Sandstone
11-14-2004, 08:10 PM
I like the river bet. I think the people advocating checking behind are playing super weak. This guy just checked the turn and river; you're likely ahead, and there is a good chance he'll call a half-pot bet with a worse hand.

Once he gets tricky though, with that huge overbet, I'd probably let him have it... Unless, of course, I'd been at the table for a bit and knew him to be a bluffing idiot.