PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a freindly game?

Zoltri
11-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I was looking for the thread where a member was soliciting opinions on why his freind was upset that he check raised him. I couldnt find it so I decided to start a new thread in this 'home' poker forum on check raising a freind.

I was once invited to play a "freindly" game with a bunch of older Italian wise guys in the back of someones cappuccino shop. On this one particuliar hand I "check-raised" to one of them and the looks on their faces was like I ripped off their moustaches from their skin. One of them says to my freind who invited me:

"Tony, where did you get this kid from"

Now, Tony is not too impressed with me and gives me the glare so I immediately took notice of my sin and tried to take the bet back.

"No, No...forget it kid. You gotta walk before you run...capiche" says the one I offended while holding his forefinger and thumb together. I nodded nervously and tell him an excuse:

"Ummm....sorry Frank. I didnt know how you guys play".
He says "Its allright kid, we're playing your way now".

As the night wore on the game was getting rougher and I felt they were all trying to bust me but I was on this amazing run and these guys were chasing so before I knew it I was up $4k. It was about 2AM and im happy with the money I've won so I decide to leave.

"Where da ya you think you goin?" says Frank in his heavy accent.
"Well, its 2 in the morning and I got to work in the morning. Sorry, I got to go" I said. I said good night to everyone and headed to the parking lot where I was confronted by Frank's son and 3 of his Gino buddies.

"Where do you think your going munga cake?. Your a f*cking cheat and stole my fathers money"

They swarmed on me and I fell to the ground. I wore glasses at the time so I lost those and couldnt see. I was like a frightend turtle...all rolled up. Thankfully, Tony (the guy who invited me) came running out and stopped the insanity. I went home with $4k of their money, bruises all over my body and squinted all the way while driving because I lost my glasses. This is all true...im laughing as im typing because its bringing back memories.

So, my opinion on "freindly games" is dont play any and especially if their name is Tony or Frank.

River2Pair
11-13-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for the thread where a member was soliciting opinions on why his freind was upset that he check raised him. I couldnt find it so I decided to start a new thread in this 'home' poker forum on check raising a freind.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Sklansky's The Theory of Poker, there is a chapter on check-raising, including a section called "The Ethics of Check-raising."

River2Pair
11-13-2004, 09:27 PM
The only "friendly" games I would play in anymore, is if I was visiting my grandparents and they wanted to bring out the jar of nickles.

Playing with friends does not equal friendly.

Mojo Tooth
11-13-2004, 10:07 PM
There absolutely is such a thing as a "friendly" game...

Just not one that has four thousand dollars at stake.

grandgnu
11-13-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't buy into the "friendly" game stuff. Whether it's 5 bucks on the line, or 20 bucks, 200 bucks, whatever. Everyone at the table becomes my foe. I want their chips over in front of me and that's the final word.

I'm not going to play nice, I'm not going to check my straight flush on the river when I'm last to act, etc.

jon_1van
11-14-2004, 12:40 AM
you have hit the nail on the head

jdoe
11-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Its never a bad idea to ask what the rules are.

Its never a good idea to play with people that will beat the crap out of you if you win.

Mojo Tooth
11-15-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to play nice, I'm not going to check my straight flush on the river when I'm last to act, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just misunderstood, but I don't see that your specific tactics you mention are somehow mutually exclusive with a friendly game.

I'll check-raise my best friends, smile while I'm doing it, and raise my beer to them when I scoop the pot. Or when they scoop the pot, whatever.

grandgnu
11-15-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just misunderstood, but I don't see that your specific tactics you mention are somehow mutually exclusive with a friendly game.

I'll check-raise my best friends, smile while I'm doing it, and raise my beer to them when I scoop the pot. Or when they scoop the pot, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm referring to when I had a home game and one of my buddies had the nuts, a straight flush. He was last to act (this is on the river) and he just checked and then won the pot. Why he didn't bet when he had nothing to lose is beyond me.

He said he was trying to be "nice". He might have been colluding with the other player in the pot and didn't want to bust him, I dunno. Then again, he could just be a total tool (he tends to play J/5, Q/4 and K/2 like they're gold) and was really trying to be "nice".

I'm not a grouch at the table berating other players. I try to be friendly in my demeanor, but I'm not going to play my hands less agressively because I might knock my girlfriend out of the tournament or whatever.

semipro
11-15-2004, 04:17 PM
If Annie Duke can look her brother straight in his eyes as she knocks him out of a tournament, then there certainly is no love lost between friends across a "friendly" poker table.

Mojo Tooth
11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Okay. Well, using that definition of the term "friendly" I suppose I would have to say I don't care much for friendly poker. I guess I'll just have to call my style of poker "amicable." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to play my hands less agressively because I might knock my girlfriend out of the tournament or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. In my view slowing down to avoid eliminating someone you know is not "friendly," it's downright unethical.

wangarific
11-15-2004, 09:14 PM
i think bottom line is whether you're there to hang out or there to play poker. if you and a bunch of novices are just killing a night drinking a few beers and hanging out, check raising isn't really necessary. if you're playing with strangers and there's $4k up for grabs, that's not hanging out, that's playing poker... and check raising is part of the game.

wingsfan
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
That depends on your friends. I have about 5 or 6 guys that I regularly play with. We're all quite friendly, and only play $5 buy ins. All of that said, we love nothing more than trapping each other with check-raises or slow playing trips until the river(got burned twice on this last weekend myself). Sometimes bragging rights and trash talk are worth more than the cash stakes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif