PDA

View Full Version : AA and KK preflop in Level I

stillnotking
11-13-2004, 05:31 PM
I play NL SNGs at the $10+1 level, and the early rounds are characterized by lots of limpers and cold-callers. In my experience it's common to see 3 or 4 people call a 3xBB raise with garbage. My question is, what's the best way to play AA and KK preflop in this situation?

What I have typically been doing is putting in a 3-5xBB raise if I am the opener and hoping to get reraised. If there are already limpers or the pot is already raised, I go all-in and hope to get called. I do not go all-in with any hand worse than KK in the early rounds.

Is this strategy correct? It seems to work fairly well; I get called maybe 25% of the time I go all-in, usually by a much weaker hand. I am a bit worried that I will become predictable because I don't make this play with lesser hands. But do most $10 SNG players really keep notes? How big a problem do you think this would be?

eastbay
11-13-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a bit worried that I will become predictable because I don't make this play with lesser hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha.

Unless you do this 3 times in the same tournament, forget about it. Nobody keeps track and even if they did, you'll probably never run into them again - and even if you did, the chances of: #1 them remembering or having a note, and #2 you catching AA early again are infinitesimal.

$109 and $215 where you see the same players all the time - maybe (but then again, you won't get called there). No way at $10+1.

eastbay

Virox
11-13-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I do not go all-in with any hand worse than KK in the early rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the $10 level you should try to get all in with QQ as well.