PDA

View Full Version : My first 5Max game (PP hand post)

05-01-2002, 01:27 AM
I have been getting my butt handed to me for a few days on 10-seat tables the last few days, so I decided to jump on a short table and play a few hands. I think it was plenty of luck, but I went up 40 BB in about 25 minutes. How normal is that? Here is an example of a hand that I played. Please rate my play for a 5-max table and should a start playing more? Any other advice for me kind sirs & sir-ettes?

Game #182,385,024 - $1.00/$2.00 Hold'em - 2002/04/30-23:00:27 (CST)

Table "Suva (5 max)" (real money) -- Seat 1 is the button

Seat 1: TheGreat ($17.00 in chips) (button)

Seat 2: Marcellus ($113.25 in chips) (sb)

Seat 3: TX Mailman ($57.50 in chips) (bb)

Seat 4: rumnpoker ($93.25 in chips)

Seat 5: Lord Byron ($154.75 in chips)

Marcellus : Post Small Blind ($0.50)

TX Mailman : Post Big Blind ($1.00)

Dealt to Marcellus [ As ]

Dealt to Marcellus [ Ac ]

rumnpoker : Raise ($2.00)

Lord Byron : Fold

TheGreat : Call ($2.00) (button)

Marcellus : Call ($1.50) (sb)

TX Mailman : Call ($1.00) (bb)

*** FLOP *** : [ Ts Tc Ah ]

Marcellus : Check (sb)

TX Mailman : Check (bb)

rumnpoker : Bet ($1.00)

TheGreat : Call ($1.00) (button)

Marcellus : Call ($1.00) (sb)

TX Mailman : Fold (bb)

*** TURN *** : [ Ts Tc Ah ] [ 2s ]

Marcellus : Bet ($2.00) (sb)

rumnpoker : Raise ($4.00)

TheGreat : Raise ($6.00) (button)

Marcellus : Raise ($6.00) (sb)

rumnpoker : Call ($4.00)

*** RIVER *** : [ Ts Tc Ah 2s ] [ 8s ]

Marcellus : Bet ($2.00) (sb)

rumnpoker : Call ($2.00)

*** SUMMARY ***

Pot: $40.00 | Rake: $1.00

Board: [ Ts Tc Ah 2s 8s ]

TheGreat lost $13.00 [ Js Td ] (three of a kind)

Marcellus bet $13.00, collected $40.00, net +$27.00 [ As Ac ] (full house)

TX Mailman lost $2.00 (folded)

rumnpoker lost $13.00 [ Ks Th ] (three of a kind)

Lord Byron didn't bet (folded)

I'm not sure why I did not re-raise here, but Like I said I have been running bad - flopping top set and losing to a river straight and flopping top 2-pair to trips - things like that. I am certain I would not play exactly like this normally, but comments please /images/smile.gif .

05-01-2002, 11:39 AM
I can't believe that you did not reraise !

Enrique

05-01-2002, 12:15 PM
You're playing afraid, as you admit, because you've been losing. I think it's a mistake to play short handed timidly.

Regards,

Troy

05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Iagree for one to play short handed one must maximize the potential pot winnings @3 hnds out of ten 5 players should average the same taking into acct draws and under pairs

05-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Thank you. I knew this immediately after my session. I pulled a few hand histories and looked at that one and was amazed. I could no believe that I did not pump that pot all the way. I could have won sooo much more on that hand, knowing that it did not matter if any one stayed or not, the pot was going to be phat when all the cards were out and I scooped it!

As I did admit, I was scared. I have been getting thumped lately and just wanted to give short-handed a try to break up the monotony.

05-01-2002, 11:55 PM
I CAN TELL BY YOUR PLAY THAT YOU ARE A FISH, GET BACK TO US WHEN YOU START GETTING REAL CARDS AND END UP BROKE.. DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

SWIFTY

05-02-2002, 02:20 AM
Why post your aces? Is there really a point?

05-02-2002, 12:11 PM
...you self righteous egotistical assholes, that I wanted to see who on this forum was helpful and cared about the growth of poker as a fun place for even fish to play and who are here to just be morons and drive away the poor players from YOUR tables with insults. Thanx - found them.

God, for such fantastic players, some of you guys will just never get it! Don't bother posting your 3rd grade insults back - I won't be playing at your tables any longer. If you think that is a good thing . . . you are a bigger moron than we thought.

05-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Please don't be turned off by the goof balls. Go ahead an post your questions. There are plenty of people that want to help.

In a regular ring game, especially low limit, you have to show the best hand to win, so your strategy revolves around getting the most money in for hands that have a positive E.V. You don't play to win by betting people out of pots. You just want to maximize your Pos E.V. situations.

Short handed betting hands aggressively such as drawing hands and overcards to the flop becomes an important part of your strategy because you can win a reasonable amount of the time just by betting. That is, you have 2 or 3 chances to win: 1) Your unimproved hand may win 2) Your opponent may fold 3) You may improve

Short hands high cards become more important. Hands like AJo are better than in a ring game, whereas hands like A3s and T9s are less important. It also is more important to notice what your opponents are doing and mix up your play accordingly. There are many plays that are almost 50/50 (do I check or bet? do I call or raise?) When situations like this come up, you can try one thing in one situation and the other the next. You don't want to make a knowingly bad play just for the sake of mixing things up, but when you're generally not sure, that's a good opportunity to vary your play.

Thanks for you post, and good luck!

05-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Hey dumbass, SWIFTY's point is to alert you to the fact of your poor play and if you can't take a little of swfity's talk, u r a fish

05-02-2002, 03:56 PM

05-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Jesus Christ, you mutt - I admitted that from the first post. I was running bad for three days and was very timid on that hand. My whole point to the post is to find out more on 5-max games and affirm that my weak play on that hand cost me money. If your only skills are to state the obvious, you are weaker than I will ever be. Again, I knew exactly how poorly I played and man, it amazes me how some of you people manage to make through the day without getting the shit kicked out of...oh now I see, you really do. HA! You are a weak suck – at least I have the balls to rate my poor play and not just talk about the hands I played my best poker. You are doomed to be a loser behind a screen name and lies about your “strong” plays. Don’t you even have a clue at all? I mean seriously, I post a bad hand I played and you don’t even get it. You just sit there and talk shit. Go find your wife or girlfriend or more likely your boyfriend so he can instruct you to finish the dishes before you are allowed to play online tonight.

PS: for the few that supported my post, thank you.

05-03-2002, 06:20 PM
I hope you don't take what I am about to say personally.

a) Your play was pretty bad on this hand, and you acknowledge that. In 5-handed games (particularly 1/2), players won't respect your raises. So, you must throw in a raise preflop to cash in on your +EV. And after that flop, don't slow down. They'll figure you for AK at best.

b) In my opinion, the HARDEST thing about 5-handed play is keeping your head. You will get absolutely raped sometimes. Suckouts will be vicious. Players will even goad you in some games, just like they goaded you in this post. And you must, absolutely must, keep your head and not let them affect you. In my opinion, your top priority is to learn to live with jerks and wannabes and bad luck galore. Until then, you cannot win at 5-handed in the long run.

BTW...I don't want players to think I am good. If my opponents think I am a fish, then I will win more money because they won't adjust to my play. The sweetest revenge is success.

Mojay

05-03-2002, 07:09 PM

05-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi Mama, played pp on the compy. got aa, did call call, made $ $, posted on two+2, think i am the best, better than all the rest, mama, i am a 1/2 shark. tell them so, so they respect me and don't critize my bad bad play!!!

Thanks Booobaa,

Speedy

05-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi, wisely not to reraise ,he could easily had pocket 2s or A 10, 10-2 .. hard to put him on pockey aces but always think of all possibilities!u got to think what all players in the pot has ,and it must have been obvivious that there where 2 tens out ...

I think u played it well ,..

Best regards