PDA

View Full Version : $9-18 hand

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
$9-18 at the Commerce. Game is very, very loose and relatively passive.

Two players limp and I limp in MP with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. No discussion of preflop play. Two more players limp, the BB comes along and we go to the flop six ways.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

The player to my immediate right bets, I call. The player directly to my left raises, the button coldcalls, the original bettor and I call.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me, I bet, the raiser raises again, button and EP coldcall, I call.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to the player who has raised twice, he bets, all fold to me, I fold.

-Michael

sthief09
11-13-2004, 03:48 PM
is that player so passive he won't bet when he thinks someone might have a flush? if so, that's a weird river bet. seems like an easy fold though.

Joe Tall
11-13-2004, 03:48 PM
No discussion of preflop play.

I will, for the newbies, Mike. In the game you described, your limp is fine.

You've got a jealopy on the turn. You know the car that only runs well downhill. So, that leaves you with a draw and you should check with outs on the turn.

I think the river fold seems fine but you only have to park that jealopy ~7% of the time to be correct closing the action. Live poker can give you that read where you are sure 95% of the time.

I'll be out in Cali next week, maybe I'll run into you at the big-C.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 03:49 PM
"is that player so passive he won't bet when he thinks someone might have a flush?"

I really don't know anything except that he is clueless.

I think the flop call is suspect.

-Michael

sthief09
11-13-2004, 03:52 PM
is he so clueless that he doesn't raise without the nuts? if not, then the flop call is fine. 4 sixes give you a good hand, 2 9's might, and you have a backdoor flush draw

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Last night was the first time I made it out to an L.A. room in months. PM me and let me know when you will be there and I'll stop by just for you!

-Michael

Joe Tall
11-13-2004, 03:53 PM
I think the flop call is suspect.

I don't. If a 9 comes off your hand is good here a large % of the time. Toss in the times you pick up the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif draw, 6 or even when the jealopy holds up and it's an easy flop call in this pot.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm referring to my first call. I think this is a deceptively bad flop for my hand.

-Michael

sthief09
11-13-2004, 03:59 PM
maybe in an aggressive game, but in this game you don't expect to get raised behind you that often. in a "normal" game, I agree that it's deceptively bad (it's basically middle pair with no 2 pair out, a crappy kicker, and a 1 card gut shot) flop, but if you can get to the turn for 1 bet getting like 8 or 9-1 on your call, that's pretty profitable.

River2Pair
11-13-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in a "normal" game, I agree that it's deceptively bad (it's basically middle pair with no 2 pair out, a crappy kicker, and a 1 card gut shot) flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

OESD, no?

Michael Davis
11-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, the J isn't real safe (as witnessed). And every draw is subjected to (multiple) redraws and will occasionally even be beaten already.

-Michael

sthief09
11-13-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in a "normal" game, I agree that it's deceptively bad (it's basically middle pair with no 2 pair out, a crappy kicker, and a 1 card gut shot) flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

OESD, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's like a gut shot and a half. the J out, when 7 people see the flop, is only occasionally good. same goes with the 2 pair outs.

arkady
11-13-2004, 04:08 PM
I think given the number of times you might be up against 2 pair or a split pot, I would make the river call.

brandon
11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Id call that river bet because the pot is so big and you can beat a lot of other hands.

private joker
11-13-2004, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$9-18 at the Commerce. Game is very, very loose and relatively passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg. Next time, jog over to the 2/4 tables and grab me. What was I doing at such a tight 2/4 table at Commerce when there's a LOOPy 9/18? Cursed rent money!

Michael Davis
11-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Try observing the 20-40 games a few hands. I curse the fact that I'm playing 9-18.

-Michael