PDA

View Full Version : Instinet IPO

05-16-2002, 10:10 AM
It looks like Instinet is thinking about buying Island.

Geez, for the 1.6 billion dollars they got in their IPO at 17, combined with their brand name and installed base, you'd think they could have built Island!

Okay, so suppose they buy Island. Two years down the road, whom will they need to buy to stay in business?

eLROY

05-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, I figured I'd look up what happened to Reuters LiquidMarkets. It's a company I am someone familiar with, and which they bought about a year ago. So far as I can tell, they made the thing evaporate between then and now!

I sometimes meet engineers from Reuters at bars. Like many companies, their products are often led by their sales force. In fact, their products are led by other people's sales forces. They say what kind of service would you want? The clients say, well, one that uses the IT, software, and services our clients offer. Repackage what they sell, sell it us, and we'll all take each other out to dinner!

I heard someone in ECNs tell, not too long ago, that those green monochrome Instinet screens were still running off old VAX 2200's or something - whatever the hot server was in 1990.

One time I tried to call Instinet. I can't even explain it, they didn't even have a receptionist.

I remember I saw the Reuters chief on TV a few months back, the one who quit, I think. What a retard he was.

eLROY

05-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Instinet is great for real traders.

As for calling them....most companies you call will blow you off if you don't have anything important to say. You didn't need a receptionist, she would have given you the same results!

05-16-2002, 11:57 PM