PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up in Limit

04-17-2002, 05:13 AM
Hi!

I have been playing max 5 players games $2-$4 and $3-$6 at Planet and doing quite good. What I have tried to do is too step up in limit to the $5-$10 max 5 player games there.

Unfortunatly my so successful loose aggressive strategy doesn't seem to work there. The games are in my opinion passive aggressive. People limps a lot with weak hands and even with hands like AA, QQ and other similar holdings. And therefore I often find myself betting other peoples hands, escpecially if a weak hand hits the flop. If I raise preflop I am often called by at least one player, who often can have very strange holdings (J3).

I have tried to bluff less and with better holdings but too often found myself loosing to better hands in the end or be bluffed out to easily if i don't hit anything. If I have a good hand I seldom get paid off well either

In a few word I feel very often outplayed and don't quite know why.

How do I attack such games? In the $3-$6 games I could dictate the play, here I can't.

Anyone have any advice

Sincerely

Gugge

04-17-2002, 02:58 PM
passive aggressive?-do you mean tight aggressive?

Moving up im limit, is a big step esp. in internet poker...swings are much larger due to the fact that your playing so many more hands per hour.

If your playing with scared money then your not playing your best A+game and can easily be bullied.

If you are beating the 3/6 game badly i see no reason for you to move up...3/6 and 5/10 are very comparable IMO. You have to watch that 5/10 game closely-see what hands certain players play and what position they play them. Maybe you are not ready for 5/10 game here...it might be that different???(however i would assume quite the same)

Tell me this, why do you want to move up?

I can better help you after i know this.

3 2 1

04-17-2002, 11:51 PM
hey gugge, i was in the same exact situation as you... try watching how other players who u respect deal with these types....

04-18-2002, 05:28 AM

04-18-2002, 07:02 AM
=======

passive aggressive?-do you mean tight aggressive?

=======

I mean loose preflop and on flop with good and bad hands. Often just calling bets and raises, even with good hands like QQ or cold calling raises out of position with for example JT (or J7) and hoping to hit the flop. Instead the players gets aggressive on the turn, I always feel like I have been trapped.

=======

If you are beating the 3/6 game badly i see no reason for you to move up...3/6 and 5/10 are very comparable IMO. You have to watch that 5/10 game closely-see what hands certain players play and what position they play them. Maybe you are not ready for 5/10 game here...it might be that different???(however i would assume quite the same)

=======

When I compare the two games 3-6 and 5-10 the first one feels more straightforward with loose aggresive players fighting to gain control over the pot. The second game feels more like a trap game where players with a 3-6 style get trapped on the later streets. Secondly more 10-20 player play the 5-10 game which is why it also might be tougher.

=======

Tell me this, why do you want to move up?

I can better help you after i know this.

=======

The reason I wan't to move up is becuase I feel that I wan't to become a better player and learn to beat different game styles. If I do that I hope that I also will make more money in the end. Secondly I play at Planet (which I like) and there is not always a 3-6 shorthanded game going, but a 5-10 might be.

04-18-2002, 11:22 AM
I think that what he meant by stating "passive aggressive" is that they limp in preflop but that post flop you start seeing alot of raising and reraising.

PS - It seems to me like it would be best if you kept playing 3-6 for a while longer. However, I have noticed that alot of the 3-6 players play 5-10.

Enrique

04-18-2002, 01:16 PM
So this 5-10 game there is a lot of (sand bagging) going on, I understand now! Yes moving from a game that your use to-(3/6 loose aggresive) to a game where people are making fancy trap like plays can be very difficult!

The best advice i can give you is too watch the game very closely for a week or so. Get to know the way each player plays...take notes, study the action! Then make certain changes in your game to get a better edge in this "tricky" game. Slow play more maybe, or maybe release marginal hands earlier. You will get a feeling for it quickly once you understand this type of game. Good luck to you Gugge! You will indeed become a better play with time. But remember only step up when your comfortable. Take care!

3 2 1

04-19-2002, 01:02 PM
They have some serious issues from childhood. Recommend them to see a psychologist.

04-19-2002, 05:53 PM
The players you are describing seem more passive than the ones I am referring to in my above post. Against these types, I think you can limp in with some weaker hands in late position. After the flop, I would cut back on marginal value bets and semi-bluffs against these sandbaggers. I would also slowplay less often from late position. Go ahead and bet your big hands...the sandbaggers may give you the opportunity to three-bet.