PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to call this river?

Trix
11-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Against a very loose and aggro guy who likes to bet into pfr´s on the flop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

Thought he could have KJ, but seems kinda far fetched..

Vern
11-13-2004, 12:06 PM
I think I would have bet the turn and folded to a C/R there. Then checked behind on the river. I think you have to call this as he could be just bluffing because you showed weakness on the turn. Unless you have some read on him that dictates some other action.

Vern
Standard Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert at any of this.

Guido
11-13-2004, 01:00 PM
When you plan to call his river bet when a blank falls I would probably bet the turn and check behind on the river when I don't improve. Maybe he folds a 6 or PP on the turn.

Guido

Gazza
11-13-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't think your line is so bad. I like to mix my play in this situation - sometimes bet the turn, sometimes check behind when I think you should usually (but not always) call because of the weakness you have shown. It depends a lot on the opponent.
If you hammer away every time with unimproved overcards it is not that good for your table image (although that may be more true of the 10-20 than the 5-10 game).

Gazza

Guido
11-13-2004, 02:02 PM
I agree, I mix it too but I bet more than I check and call a river bet.

Guido

balkii
11-13-2004, 03:41 PM
trix I think this is a pretty good spot to check the turn (not always, but sometimes, especially against this opponent.)

he is gonna check raise you with some worse hands when that board pairs, and you need to see the river, and probably a showdown with this hand.

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I agree with balkii. Against a tricky guy like this, I'd much rather see the river and showdown than risk getting pushed off my hand on the turn.

Joe826
11-13-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with balkii. Against a tricky guy like this, I'd much rather see the river and showdown than risk getting pushed off my hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially the extra jack outs. having to fold to a turn C/R would suck.

Nemesis
11-13-2004, 05:10 PM
I think folding to a turn check raise would be wrong with the extra jack outs even.

Joe826
11-13-2004, 05:49 PM
woops. yeah you're right.

Trix
11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Dont think he will bet a draw on the flop very often, but mostly any pair, which is why I´m wondering if I can fold the river.

He had AT.

jrobb83
11-13-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dont think he will bet a draw on the flop very often, but mostly any pair, which is why I´m wondering if I can fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he will be betting with less often enough to make the call breakeven at least. Also, calling down with ace high will make your opponents less willing to take shots at you on the river.

kiddo
11-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Against a player that will try to resteal pretty often on turn (or checkraise with 2nd, 3rd pair) you have to semibluffbet a little less and playing the rest a bit more aggressive (3bet more). Against a tricky player I prefer betting turn if he could have been betting flop with a draw.